51 . DIAMONDS

March 2007Tappahannock, Virginia

March 2007
Tappahannock, Virginia

"It ain't no hesitating
You're all I need now, girl, all I need is you
Look no further, no complaining
You're all I need now, girl
You know I just stop and stare
Something' special to me here
Why hold back?
We're here now, babe
I'm just throwin' it out there"

"Wake up nigga."

Chris firmly kicked the sole of his foot into the middle of Mijo's back as he slept, before casually dropping into his computer chair and starting to eat the plate of food in his hand. With a loud groan, noticing his best friends voice as he came out his sleep, Mijo rolled over with a sharp glare.

"How you get in here?" He muttered, never raising his head from the pillow. His Saturday's were for sleeping until 1pm and then skating and smoking all day. Maybe chill with a couple girls. He didn't even know what 8am looked like on the weekends.

"Ma let me in." Chris shoveled a forkful of scrambled eggs into his mouth, before he stabbed the fork into the fluffy French toast on the plate. "Get yo' fat ass up."

"Why you here so early?"

"I came straight from LA. Nae's appointment in a few hours. Get up, I gotta holla at you." His tone wasn't urgent at all, so Mijo slowly rolled over and finally fixed his eyes on him fully with one eyebrow raised.

"About what?"

"What you think of this?" Chris sat his plate down and dug into the front pocket of his backpack, fishing out the tiny velvet box he'd been holding close for the past two days. Leaning forward, with his hands planted on his elbows, he flipped the top open, exposing a huge Princess cut Diamond on a silver band.

The big, sparkling rock made Mijo's eyes open wide.

"What that for?"

"For Nae."

"For what?"

They exchanged looks, and once he came to the realization, it was enough to make Mijo sit all the way up in the bed.

"Naw...you playing." He reached out and took the box, closely examining the huge rock. He knew they planned to get married eventually but this was out the blue...they ain't even 18 yet. How did they go from breaking up two months ago to being engaged with a baby on the way?

"I ain't. Imma ask her to marry me." Chris smile spread, feeling the best he had in two months. He'd been down and out ever since their breakup, but once she called him and told him about the baby he made his mind up. He bought the ring the very next day. "I gotta plan some special shit but...I'm serious. Y'all 'bout to graduate in a couple months so she finna move in our crib before the baby even get here."