Bate and Switch

Nebula attached the last bits of connecting wiring to the still very much charred drone found by Peter, Gamora and Groot two nights ago. Yesterday, hooking the piece of equipment to their computer scanners on board the ship failed to bring up any search results that could lead to the location the drone came from. Or was navigated. But she wasn't done trying yet. Rocket taught her that sometimes, after a couple of different combinations, rewiring of wires to a scanner may just be the right connection to get results. She'll try again today and have the scan run itself manually to check on when she gets back.

"I'll keep an eye out on that for any results." Gamora assured her, walking in and giving her backpack with the correct units necessary. Just as a precaution in the worst case scenario, if things don't go according to plan. "You and Mantis take care. And If in the worst case scenario, something happens, call us for help, alright?"

Nebula nodded in affirmation, taking the bag and strapping it onto her back. "Yeah sure no problem–thanks. I'll be sure to watch the empaths back. You take care of things here. Especially Rocket." She grinned at Gamora in passing as she headed out the door with her in tow. She marched straight to the med-bay where the others were at. "Are you ready to go yet, Mantis?"

Mantis blinked up at her from where she was sitting on the foot of the bed by Rocket's head. She had her hand in between the fur on his belly, spreading it apart to expose his pink skin for Peter and Drax to peek at. "Oh–yes! Almost."

Nebula tilted her head at them, frowning questioningly at the scene. Rocket looked back at her, looking uncomfortable and nervous. She didn't resist the kind instinct to grin back at him sympathetically and reassuringly. "What exactly are you doing with him?" She couldn't help but ask, eyeing how Rocket looked so pitifully vulnerable in their grasp and feeling the protective instinct rise up in her again. He wasn't even protesting or pulling away. But she could see by his slightly hunched frame and the anxious look in his eyes as they locked on her after she came in that he was a bit nervous. Glancing at Groot at the side, he too was fiddling his large fingers together and pacing nervously. Her stomach dropped a bit. "Is something the matter?"

"Rocket's been trying to chew at his belly a lot this morning. And Drax claims he saw an insect somehow in all this fur. So we are looking for it." Mantis considerately explained, frowning down worriedly at the raccoon. "I just hope we find it before–"

"Aha! I found it!" Drax exclaimed joyously, frowning a bit then in concentration as he dug a bit into a particular corner in Rocket's poor furred belly. Rocket shuddered and whined while Mantis kindly stroked his head and Peter petted the side of his belly. "There, there little one–Aaaah! There we go! I have it!"

6 years ago.....

"AHA! Got ya now! Ya gross little bug!" Rocket exclaimed loudly, sounding relieved and pleased. Peter took the time to turn away from monitoring their cooking and their campfire to stare questioningly in his direction.

His expression instantly cringes with disgust at the miniscule yet fay insect held between his tiny fingers. "Eeew! Dude! That's disgusting! Don't do that here!"

Rocket stared bewildered at him while he casually flicked away what was probably a tick or something. "And why the hell not huh? The fire's right here and it's flarken cold out there!" He exclaimed loudly, his tone rising in temper along with his fur which began to rise up. "And now the flarken ship's down, it's flarken cold in there too! And now these damn insects won't leave me al–!"

"Rocket–" Gamora began by the far end, sharpening her swords with her own equally rising temper. "–don't start arguing again. I'm really not in the mood."