Cradle and All

Moments before.....

Gamora gently snuck a finger under one side of the sheets laid over Rocket's head. Lifting it a bit she curiously peaks underneath and spots his small snout. Lifting it a tad bit higher, she could see Rocket's eyes had fallen shut. Smiling fondly, she lowers it back down and gestures with a finger to her lips in front of her as she walks around the bed to the others. "He's fallen asleep. I knew it would happen eventually. He kept almost nodding off before. We can let him rest for now."

Peter smirks by the doorway, still saddened by Rocket's previously restless state but glad he was at peace for now. "Of course–poor little guy must be exhausted. We'll try giving him back his I.V. fluids and painkillers a little later."

Sighing softly in resignation yet feeling a bit more on the brighter side, Groot turns to them. "I am Groot. (Take care of him please guys)." He softly pleads with them, taking Gamora's hand in firm consolation as she extends it to him.

"And you are still sure you want to go with them Groot?" She asks him again though he just as eagerly and sternly nods in agreement without hesitation.

"I am Groot. (I need to do this)." He speaks low and confidently. Even with Rocket seemingly at peace right now, he sadly knows that the peaceful moment wouldn't last. (The moment Rockets wakes up he'll probably still be afraid to see me). Groot thinks glumly to himself. Drax approaches behind him, firmly gripping his back while Mantis holds Groots arm in solidarity. "I am Groot. (I'm not alone in this)." He assures, gesturing at Drax and Mantis at either side of him. "I am Groot. (And Rocket couldn't be safer without you.)"

She grins appreciating the extra vote of confidence while Peter scoffs, in a joking manner at them. "Hey, the little guy's got me too as protection! That is unless one of you stubborn knuckleheads will want to trade places with me." He suggests, still looking hopeful, between Drax and Mantis for any takers.

"Or better yet me. I'm still up for the offer if anyone wants to trade." Nebula muttered insistently in disapproval, arms folded as she leaned brooding against the wall. "Better going out to get payback than being stuck here."

"Yeah–but I offered first–plus I am the leader so–" Peter tried again to insist.

Still Mantis stubbornly shakes her head, pouting in mild disapproval at them. "Nu-uh you two, us three already won fair and square in that draw of straws." She even pulled out her straw again for quick re-emphasis. "Ours were the longest, remember? Me, Drax and Groot can handle all this without you."

"I am Groot. (Remember Rocket needs protection and you three will do great with that)." Groot reminds them, knowing they couldn't rebut that. "I am Groot. (Three of us go and three of us leave.) I am Groot. (That's what we agreed on)." (And there's no way that I'm missing out on that!) He darkly thinks all to himself.

"Of course! We'll all fare just fine without you!" Drax Intercepts, taking a solidary hold of Mantis' shoulder as well. "We'll take revenge on them all! For Rocket!" Glancing between the other three he gestures at them with wide arms, looking just as confident. "You three will do fine without us! I just know it!" He glanced at Rocket's dozing form with pity. "Take care of our little friend."

"Of course we'll take care of him." Gamora vowed, determined and assertively.

"You three take care too." Peter reminded them, squeezing Mantis's hands and long ended stick while she leaned in her brow quite lovingly against his.

"Of course we will, Peter. They don't stand a chance." She gleefully promised.

Now.....

"Peter–I know you're worried, but they always pull through. Have faith alright?"