Degradation

"So from what I could gather from the old model you brought me–it's unfortunately too damaged to repair anything out of it." The pale skin alien carefully explained to her. "At this point it's best that I build one from scratch."

Nebula carefully nodded, reading the seller carefully. Not that she had any reason to doubt them–she had already received similar explanations from other technicians around the city. Except neither of them had any parts available to make one. At least this one may actually be able to help me.

"But It'll take some time if you want me to make a good one from scratch."

"Alright, so just how long would it take for you to build a new UNTN device?" Nebula asked, an impatient part of her frustrated at having to wait at all, not as evident with the mask on. I just want to get us as far away from here as possible.

The man wrinkled their already creased features in thought. "It should take approximately–three days to finish." Briefly a thin looking gloved hand reached for their face and she thought he would finally remove their goggles. But instead they briefly scratched their dry foreheads, perhaps in deep thought. "I should warn you–this won't cost little–these devices cost a hefty fee to make."

"Alright then–how much exactly are you looking to be paid for this job?" Nebula roughly asked, feigning patience and a reasonable demeanor.

Though inside a dangerously morbid part of her was antsy to leave–but not before pointing a knife at their throat and ordering them the parts needed for her to make on her own free of cost. That would have been something that the old impulsively callous part of herself might have done. Except she lacked the skill and experience Rocket had in making one. She might just end up making a bomb by accident with the amount of powerful energy cells needed to make these things.

Also–she supposed it wasn't the right thing to do. The Guardians–Gamora would disapprove. Then again they had already killed–what's stopping her from getting this man to make it for her and then coming back here to dispose of him? Steal the UNTN device once she was sure it was complete so they could fly off this planet to somewhere far away? Dammit–stop thinking evil!

The Badoons were an exception–a precaution for Rockets safety. Besides–even if she turned to her old ways–even if it were for the selfish benefit of her friend–there was no guarantee that she would get away in time.

Other than it being morally–and annoyingly–wrong of her to do that–there would be no guarantee she wouldn't be tracked down and followed by any lackeys of his roaming nearby seeking revenge. And she wouldn't risk the Guardians–nor her sister like that again. She wouldn't risk Rocket like that.

"It's going to cost you 6,0000 units–take it or leave it." They stated firmly without room for negotiation. Great–that's almost half the cost of Rockets bounty.

But she already knew this was going to cost a lot to make. There was no avoiding that. The question was whether to conserve those units for more important resources, like food for them and medicine for Rocket. Or if it is best to use up those units on this tech so they can fly and teleport away in time?

What's best then? Stick around and get by? Or get us far away from here?

Her line of thought was interrupted by the loud clamoring of a few individuals walking up to the nearby open window of the shop. Their topic of discussion–a stark reminder of why she was here–why she was doing this in the first place.

"There's no way Mal–why would the Nova Corps risk everything–much less thegettin in more conflict with the Kree here just to find some mangy rodent pet of the Guardians?!" A rough looking male Aakon and female Krylorian were speaking loudly nearby, standing closely with drinks in their hands.