Crawl Space

"Just look at it! Isn't it a wonderful piece of weaponry?" Drax happily exclaimed, pointing at the craft just outside their ship that he, Groot and Mantis dragged in along with everything else collected. While Mantis eagerly nodded, clapping her hands delightedly as she trailed right behind him, Peter and Gamora looked on skeptically between Drax and the large vehicle.

"Wait a minute–this is the vehicle you guys were talking about? It's just a Procyon Bulldozer!" Peter stated plainly in confusion and disappointment.

"Exactly! It's exquisite isn't it?! Thank goodness we killed those idiots to get it!"

"It's just a land vehicle! It may be perfect for bulldozing through these trees in these woods–" Peter winced before quickly correcting. "–don't tell Groot that I'm encouraging or applauding that by that way–but it's useless in regards to actually flying us out of here guys!"

The other man frowned in confusion. "What's your point? It's still–OW! Cursed injured leg." He couldn't stop from groaning out while rubbing his injured thigh.

"Look Drax, as much as we appreciate you for all you've managed to bring back we–" Gamora trailed off, noticing and wincing at the way Drax's leg limped behind him. He was stubbornly using the cane they graciously made from spare ship parts tied together to limp along–despite their protests. "–you really need to lay off that leg. Remember, your health is important too, okay?"

Frustratingly enough, he gave her an incredulous look. "Yeah, but this cane is cool too." He stated proudly, tempting Gamora to smile at him despite her current disapproving look. "I enjoy walking on it–that's why you made it right?"

"Yeah–but in all honesty, we're kinda hoping that won't become a permanent fixture on you." Peter reprimanded gently, approaching his side to hook his arm across his shoulders paying little care to his mild protesting. "Nah dude–it's fine–we really appreciate all you guys managed to do yesterday. Wish we could have helped and kept–'' He waved his hand forlornly at Draxs' leg. "–'this' from happening. Just lay it off for a bit. Only use the cane when you need to be on your feet." He looked back at the vehicle and sighed. "I'm sure we can find a use for that later on. One that sure as hell better look cool."

Watching Drax and Peter slowly stumble back to the ship together, Mantis turned to Gamora. And found her staring intently at both the vehicle, along with the few weapons and gadgets collected. She expected to see at least some disappointment in her eyes. Instead she found something worse. Dread.

"Me and Nebula will be going in two days to collect the UNTN device we need." Mantis reminded Gamora with the good intentions of reassuring her. "And when we do, we will be able to jump far, far away from here." Her hopeful look fell a bit more into a more grimmer but determined expression. "Where Rocket can be safe from any other attempt on his life or his freedom."

Gamora looked back at her blankly for a moment before walking forward and picking up one of the damaged power–dampener combs, analyzing it in her hands silently. Mantis's lips thinned before she continued. "We have more means of protecting him now. We must have faith that we will get through anything more that comes our way."

Gamora turned to her, silently reading her back before solemnly smiling back. "You're right. We do have more at our disposal to face more opponents here. But–I still can't help but feeling that–(sigh)–the ones we have to face out 'there' are more of a threat." She grimly admitted, staring at the sky then with a forbidding expression as her grip tightened on the damaged tech. " At this point–with everything that's coming after us–after him–it could be all out war."

Twenty days ago.....

"What the hell is taking you so long you dirty little rat?! GET OVER HERE WITH MY NEWSPAD! AND GET ME THAT FOOD BAG BY THE DOOR YOU RAT!"