Hunter Become Hunted

Twenty days ago.....

(Thump–thump–thump–thump–thump–thump–thump–thump–thump–Creak!)

Oh no–what was that?! Other than the thumping that still filled his ears? And not the same thumping from before. That thumping had ended long ago when he lacked the energy to even lift his head. Leaving him with a pounding head and an even more hurting body. Crushed and buried from his shoulders down.

The thumping he had been hearing was now obviously just his heartbeat. His very slow heartbeat. No doubt due to the hormonal and metabolic changes his body was forced to go through. Just to try and save itself from muscle and tissue breakdown. Not that it was actually doing him any good to begin with.

He was still starving to death. He could see his ribs sticking out with each breath with just a glance at his chest and abdomen. His body was so weak, that none of his new injuries were actually healing properly anymore. He was still molted and bruised. He could feel himself deteriorating. He didn't have the strength to even pull himself out of this mess of junk he was stuck under.

And glancing at the source of the new noise, he hoped against all the odds that it was just the sound of debris breaking and falling over nearby. But one look towards the doorway confirmed his continuing neverending nightmares.

"Wu–what a surprise? Still getting absolutely nowhere–pathetic as always "

With a tormented groan and a shaky breath, Rocket's eyes scrunched closed as the culprit of his torment and torture stood over him ready to strike again. He waited on baited breath, shaking horribly in fear until he finally couldn't handle the suspense and opened his eyes to watch his blurry shape unsurely.

"What–(COUGH, COUGH, COUGH!)" His voice cut off briefly, choking on his dry unused throat. Clearing his sore throat, he tried again. "Arghem–what are–you going to–(cough)–do to me–now?" He shakily rasped out, his body shuddering out of control in building panic. He just didn't think he could take anymore, despite always being submitted to yet more torment. He just wanted it to be over, but knew deep in his heart this man wasn't done with him yet.

However, he slowly became aware of the man being hunched over instead of his familiar straight posture. And the awkward unsteady sway above him. And the bottle in his hand and–(Could it be? Was he drunk? Again?! Now what?!)

"Now–that's ugh–hehe–good point." They seemed to slur out, still managing to sound sinister. "What should I–ulp–do with you now–huh?" They seemed to laugh in mild drunken amusement at the thought. "Oh the—possi–bilities."

Despite feeling unsafe, knowing how unpredictable he could be while drunk, Rocket foolishly hoped otherwise. Hoped that maybe he could sway him–somehow. So licking his sore dry lips yet barely finding enough salvia to do so, Rocket tried speaking again. "I–(cough)-–I know–alright? I know I–I–uhm–" Sucking in another shuddering breath, he released it with a sob.

He could barely contain his emotions as is. And he was still too hurt and starved to warrant even putting the energy or reasonable coherent thought to think otherwise. And yet it still somehow managed to hurt him emotionally just as well to admit what he knew to be true. "I'm useless–right now but–(cough, cough)–but I swear I–I'll try to do better. "Taking another shaking breath, he struggled to continue. "So just–please give me a break here okay?–I'm trying."

They paused waiting for them to respond but when they didn't Rocket felt desperation fill him upon the horribly helpless realization of his pleading possibly being ignored again. "I–I am–(sob)–honest–so just–give me another–another chance–alright? I'll keep–trying to proof–my usefulness." Taking another shuddering breath against the sobs leaving his lungs hitching for air, his throat raw and his vision blurring even more obscured. "But please–you–you gotta–take–take better care of me–please–I need food–okay? I need–water. I need–all the same stuff you need–that any–livin creature needs–ta function–ta live–please–I won't be able to make you anything–useful–otherwise–but if I'm–myself again–then I can do it–alright?"