Fragmented Still

When someone else new came along and appeared before him, he did the only thing he could think of. He hid against the musky warmth of his caregivers chest and leathery material. What this? It open and close......

"Gee you.....hiding.....my jacket." Jacket–that what this is–Jacket.

On its own it would have felt thin, rough, cold and non protective. But with the warm body inside it, it made him feel warm, safe and protected. He felt the material shift a bit off him and he shyly looked behind him. Seeing the new figure crouching down much closer to him, he shrinks back and hides his face away against the warm chest with a whimper. "Rocket......" No!--no–no–don't want hear that word! Don't want hear! Don't want–I'm not–! ".....okay.....I'm your friend." His head lifted at the familiar word. Friend? They–friend too?

He felt his head be touched and instinctively flinched, That was until he heard who it was. "Shhhhh it's.....little buddy.....Thor's our friend." Thor–friend? His tensions eased up and he allowed his face to be turned around by the hands of the 'friend' he knew he could trust. Looking up he found their kind reassuring–smile. Then looked back at the newcomer in front of him–at their smile. Well, if the friend holding him said the newcomer was also a friend then......

Seeing the God of Thunder's hand reaching for the little head poking out of his jacket, Peter instinctively moved to stop him. "Hang on a sec Thor–he may not be ready for you to–!" But his protests cut off as soon as he saw Rocket not pulling away nor responding with terror due to their touch. Instead, to his surprise–and maybe slight jealousy–Rocket responded back to the touch by rubbing his furry head against it. "–or maybe he is." How does this guy do it?!

Five years ago......

"Hey Thor! Where ya think your goin?!" Thor forced himself to turn around and found the rabbit running towards him in the field on all fours. "Ya killed him–so what happens now huh?!" He demanded, going back to standing on two feet.

Despite his previous kind feeling towards the small mammal, his mind was now inflicted with feelings of failure and self-loathing. He was not in the mood to put up with their admittedly adorable antics. He turned to him sharply, lacking the friendly smile from before. "What do you mean what happens now rabbit?" He replied in disbelief. "Half the universe's population is now gone. So I killed Thanos." Rocket gapped in disbelief at him. Behind him, he could see his other friends stepping out of Thanos' tent. Unable to bear facing all of them again, he quickly turned to retreat. "Now everything is perfectly balanced."

"What are you talkin about?! This can't be it! You gotta do something–HEY!" Unfortunately the talking creature did not relent, tugging on the hilt of his ax. He glared down at him, pulling his ax away and nearly causing him to fall forward. Rocket recovered quickly, glaring up at him. "Come on man–use that ax of yours! Aim it at all the spots where people disintegrated! REVERSE IT!"

Thor scoffed and shook his head in outrage at the suggestion. "I can't rabbit."

"COURSE YOU CAN!" The creature cried back with as much as his little lungs could muster. His breath hitched suspiciously after his outburst and tears were rapidly blinked away. "Don't tell me a freakin GOD capable of of bringin HIMSELF back to life ain't capable of bringing everyone else back to LIFE!"

"I SAID I CAN'T YOU LITTLE FOOL!" Thor roared back down at him, hitting the bottom hilt of his ax to the ground with anger. And with still enough care not to strike Rocket who flinched back, even as he was annoying him. Reminding him of the fact that despite all his strength and power, as God of Thunder, lightning and Prince of Asgard, he was still powerless in many ways.