Kaleidoscope

Two days later.....

"I am Groot? Are you sure I shouldn't come? " Groot insisted feeling troubled at being left behind. Sure he wasn't the only one staying. Peter, Drax and Mantis were all chosen to stay behind the ship with him. And though they weren't happy about it, it also wouldn't sit well having Rocket left vulnerably alone.

But they were stronger in numbers. And right now Rocket needed that. Capturing whoever may or may not be there at the bunker came second as a priority. But they still had to be prepared for whoever they were going to confront, which is why two of the galaxy's deadliest assassins were going.

"Groot, Rocket could still wake up any moment from now." Gamora spoke sternly, like one would with more authority would speak to their subordinate. But she only did so to get the point across to him. "He'll need you there."

Thankfully, Groot did back down, nodding in acceptance. His angry scowl smoothed a bit, though the thirst for vengeance was still there. "I am Groot. I am Groot. You're right. I have to protect him while you're gone. " His barked brow furrowed again. "I am Groot. Try not to kill whoever hurt Rocket. "

It was obvious that Groot, like all of them, meant to capture him alive to make him pay for what he had done to Rocket. To be honest, that was the plan.

Gamora gave a sharp head jerk in agreement, her kind eyes narrowing as he did. "We will try not to. Be careful and listen to Peter's instructions alright?" She smiled proudly as he nodded, standing high at attention. "Good."

She then turned to their leader, who stood arms crossed, looking a tad worried and unsure. His gaze turned pleadingly to her. "I don't know Gamora–maybe we should wait a while longer before we make–"

"Peter, it's been four days and Rocket has become stable enough to be on his own if you all had to leave the ship to defend it. We wait longer, we may not have a chance to at least try and see if someone is still there." She approached him, gripping his shoulders firmly to draw his full attention to her.

"And even if the place is still deserted, it's teeming with evidence and possibly information that we can use to find out who had Rocket all this time. And for what purpose they did all this to him. We owe it to him to try." Seeing her gaze sternly yet confidently seek out his support, he relented with a heavy sigh.

"Alright then–" He nodded forlorn, before his gaze became as stern as hers. "–but remember if there are too many or they're too much to handle, retreat okay? Or at least call for backup and I'll go and leave these guys to watch Rocket okay?" She nodded agreeing, though it was mostly to reassure him.

"This is not fair." They turned their longing gaze away from each other to look at Drax, who wore a pout on his face, clearly displeased. "You promised that we would do this together. I want to inflict painful vengeance on them as well!"

"Hey man you definitely will get a chance to inflict as much bone crushing pain as you want!" Peter reassured him with a broad smile, offering him a clap on the shoulder. "That's why Nebula and Gamora will bring back the ones responsible!" He reassured him, though the destroyer was still scowling.

"Drax you'll get your chance at revenge. We all will. But Rocket still needs the most protection possible. He still needs to be the number one priority. Revenge comes later, remember?" Gamora remembered, allowing her expression to convey how much she depended on him as she pleaded to him.

Drax's hardened gaze eased considerably when he made eye contact with her, relenting with a sigh. "Yes, yes of course." His gaze hardened again at her. "But when you bring them here, I want to remove their spines!"