Penumbral

"We're here now." Nebula Remarked, as they glided over the flat green pastures before arriving at the base of the Avengers old headquarters.

"Splendid! I–!" Thor trailed off, going quiet the moment he heard a quiet little moan from Rocket. His gaze along with everyone else darted to the furry bundle nestled against Gamora's shoulder whose ears flicked back before sinking down flat on his head again. Thor sighed before continuing more quietly. "I mean splendid! I'll try calling the Avengers headquarters and–!"

"Actually there is probably no need. It appears our Terran comrades have sent out machines to kindly greet us." Drax calmly pointed out for them as several of what looked like flying attack drones positioned themselves at either side of their ship and fixed their red lasers on them.

Nebula winced as red lights flashed at her eyes from the rays passing over their ship. "On second thought, maybe you should call to let them know we're not a threat. I'm starting to think those things are going to blast us all into–!"

"Hey Guardians! Long time no see!" A familiar friendly voice was heard from the speakers of either one or both drones floating outside their front window.

Nebula relaxed with a sigh and a slightly relieved look at the window. "Or not."

Mantis eagerly shot up from her seat and waved excitedly at the droids outside. "Hello Mr. Hulk! Nice to meet you again! Is Spider-boy there too?"

"Ah no, he's in school right now in New York! I'm sure he'll stop by eventually!"

"Hey there Banner! Nice seeing ya too!" Peter happily greeted, also waving a hand back. "And what about Mr. Harry Houdini? Is he in the building too?"

"Hey–Star-Lord is it? You're talking about Dr. Strange? He's in New York too!"

"What about Rhodes and Rogers?" Nebula tried to play it casual while asking. Though after it being a while since being here, she was curious to know.

"At a U.S. military press Conference in Washington! Now what is it that–!"

"Bruuuce! Heeey!" Thor excitedly exclaimed to his friend, for a moment unknowingly awakening Rocket once again. Gamora held him close as he stirred and frowned still half asleep, aiming an annoyed look at who woke him.

"Thor? You're in there? Last I heard from Valkyrie you were visiting Nidavellir!"

"Hellooo!?" Sounded a new voice, sounding much more disgruntled as Gamora admittedly felt. "Can we focus here? Hello by the way. I'm the former director of S.H.I.E.L.D and current director of the SABER Space Station."

Drax nodded, then moved closer to Nebula with a confused look. "Who?"

While Nebula sighed tiredly, Thor got closer to Drax to explain. "He's an old friend of ours. And our old boss."

There was an unexpected beeping of another incoming video-call. Peter reluctantly answers seeing as the signal came from close to Terra. Immediately Nick Fury's weary and questioning face appeared before them.

"Oh! It's the man with the eye-patch!" Mantis excitedly pointed at the screen before poking at Nebula's sunken shoulder. "I remember who Nick Fury is now!"

"Wonderful Mantis!' Nebula spoke sarcastically to her before turning to address the older man on the screen. "Long story short, we need–!"

"Greetings Fury!" Thor excitedly waved as his old boss. Nebula growled low and impatiently at him, her fingers clenching on the steering of their ship.