Bittersweet

The moment she woke up, Gamora immediately knew she had unwillingly fallen asleep. Despite the uncomfortable sitting position on her chair while still half-leaning over the bed. On top of that, upon seeing the time on the watch across from her on the wall, she confirmed it was in fact morning. At first she felt bad for sleeping when she hadn't even been sure when or if her friends would make it back. While also dreading having to face a tired and annoyed Nebula. Who might have had to wait all night, possibly forcing herself to stay awake, waiting for their friends and for Gamora to switch places with her.

But then she became aware of feeling a small hand held protectively in her grasp and a warm larger hand encased over hers. When she turned her gaze to her left, the sight before her did brighten her day more and soften her features into a soft smile. Peter and Rocket seem to have fallen asleep in the same position she had last seen them in. With her beloved boyfriend still holding the raccoon one-armed, snuggly against his chest while his other hand was curled over the one she held Rocket's hand with. Both their heads laid over the pillows with Rocket's head tilted to the left resting under Peter's chin. They both looked so peaceful and content as they breathed in an oddly almost even pattern, that she froze taking in the sight as to not awaken them.

It gave her only about a minute of admiring them before Peter sighed heavily and began to stir. His brow wrinkled, his lips twitched and then his head rose a bit before his eyes flickered open groggily at her. Meanwhile, Gamora smiled widely at him, while beaming happily in relief to see him awake after such a good night's sleep. She saw his weary expression become more alert, with his eyes widening and his features smoothing as he too caught sight of her back.

"Peter–Good morning." She whispered a soft greeting to him, edging her head closer to him. He regarded her back, expression blank for a quiet moment.

Then a look of recognition, with the same affection which cost her some getting used to years ago. "Hmm–hey–morning back to you too." He mumbled back instinctively, a bit louder than intended. His grip on her hand tightened and he also edged his own face closer to hers. As she licked her own lips, she was about to help him close that distance and receive the same morning greeting she was more than glad to have warmed up to over these years.

But then Rocket's tiny body jolted beneath them and a small whimper was heard. Instantly their eyes snapped away from each other and down at the now awake and shifting body of their furry friend. Rocket's eyes were open but still heavy-lidded despite the slight fearful wariness in them. They waited silently on edge, fearing his reaction at first when his face slowly and steadily flipped between the both of them. He looked at them skeptically and uneasy.

So with caution, Gamora took a steadying breath before mustering the same kind and affectionate tone of voice from last night. "Rocket–honey–good morning sweetheart." She smiled and watched him just as lovingly, with Peter pretty much mirroring her gaze at Rocket. She loosened her grip on his hand and simply stroked it. Peter did the same with his arm loosening around him.

They froze, patiently awaiting Rocket's reaction to them while he studied them back. All while hoping it would be as trusting and affectionate as it was yesterday. At first, Rocket's lips and body shuddered for a few uneasy seconds at the sight of them. Then recognition seemed to reach him and his expression lightened. So he sighed, long and heavily as if to allow all the tension to leave his body. He slowly sank against Peter's arm and the bed under him. His gaze settled for a moment on Peter again, a look of genuine relief on his sleep-mused face that got him to rub the side of his cheek against the arm encircled around him. A little keening sound vibrated past his dry lips.

"Hey pal–how are ya? Did you sleep good last night, hmm?" Affectionately, Peter bent his face closer to his and let the curious raccoon rub his little snout against his nose with a small sniffle. "Yeah ya did–who's my best pal huh? Who's our special little guy huh? That's you right?" He amusingly teased, a big goofy grin on his face as he poked Rocket's sniffing nose back with his finger.