Dawn to Dark

9 Hours earlier

9 Hours earlier

For the past five minutes, Rocket spent clearing his thoughts. Emotions running wild–anger, rejection, guilt... he slowly managed to put them at bay. He had to bottle them up to find peace–it took a painstaking while with deep heavy breaths that helped settle him down.

Heck–Thor wasn't kidding that the meditating crap actually seemed to work. But he didn't sit in a corny crossed legged position–the ground was too sandy. Plus he didn't want to risk being caught by any prying eyes of his team in that weird position. At least it seemed weird for him to do. So he simply stood staring at the night sky–choosing to focus on that.

Finally clearing his mind of most of the baggage–the negativity–the burdens of bad thoughts and memories. Along with the negative emotions that had him choking so much he had to escape. Rethinking for a moment–he thought back to what made him happy. Before the dark times–before he was on his own. With strangers he had to force himself to warm up too, in order to stay sane. To keep calm to the warm presence of others that kept him balanced on the scale of good.

But before that–what about being a Guardian made him so happy?....Was it actually doing some good in the universe? A change from his previous so–called bad deeds he had to rely on to get by? Sure it felt good–when he actually succeeded.

But now that he thought about it–he also felt good when he did the so–called bad deeds. The stealing–the tricking–the bounty hunting. There was the reward of units–whether it be stolen or earned. And there was the rewarding feeling of succeeding what he set out to do.

So what made the good–deeds he did different from the bad?...Okay that was a dumb way to put it–it was obvious one was good and the other bad. What he meant was–what made him happier to do one over the other?

Thinking back to his swindling bounty hunter days–he had good old Groot at his side. Nothing was ever a dull moment with him around. And he could rely on him. But outside of that–he remembered the warm feelings that came with being rescued–valued–cared for. That's what made him happy during those times–Groots companionship. His love and affection.

The rest of the Guardians were strangers–come to think of it a lot like the Avengers. Yet they hit a different chord with him–the Guardians that is. The Avengers were established as heroes–sure some of them had pasts outside of that. Some had baggage–heck Thor did. He was actually an element that reminded him the most of Quill–outside of the all powerful God aspect.

He found a positive spin on things–even if he did let himself go a bit. But he still coped with all his failures, lost family and emotional baggage. Quill seemed to do the same–losing Yondu, his father figure for example. He depended on them for support. Before that Rocket had depended on them all the same after losing Groot the first time.

He remembered fearing the prospect of living alone. But he soon realized the Guardians were not going to simply disperse. It seems saving the universe after Peter's inspiring words had actually struck a chord with them as well as him. And they chose to continue on that righteous path.