Day Has Gone

Moments before......

".....I need you to take cover in the med-bay. No matter what happens, you have to stay with Rocket....." Peter instructed Groot carefully as he carted him and Rocket away to the med-bay. Though Groot reluctantly let himself get led away, he was already instinctively shaking his head in denial of such a plan.

"I–am Groot! (Actually I gave it some thought Peter–and I think one of you should stay with him Instead of me!)" Groot tried to reason much to Peter's surprise. As much as it pained him to admit–and as much as he hated breaking his promise to remain with Rocket–he knew he carried less of a mortal risk against the Ravagers. Even if they still weren't completely sure on what the Ravagers intentions were yet, he wasn't comfortable with hiding and leaving them to deal with them alone. Not when he possessed the ability to sprout multiple limbs and easily defeat or even finish them off. Which in all honesty, he was willing to do, thought he hoped it wouldn't come to that. "I am–Groot! (As much as I want to stick by Rockets side–I can"t sit and wait around doing nothing to prevent them from getting to him!)" He confessed, looking down lamentably at Rocket who was now keeping himself busy with chewing and suckling nervously on the tool nestled against his chest. His wide eyes displayed his frayed nerves and confusion, with the calming effect of the blue sky no longer in front of him. "I am Groot. (That's why I should be there with the group to help confront them all if they decide to attack us.)" He acknowledged while petting Rocket fondly. "I am Groot (You'll need me too.)"

Peter sighed, wearily rubbing the back of his neck. "As much as I can't argue with that buddy–Rocket needs your protection more. As much as me, Gamora and Drax can do to hold them back from him–it'll be harder to get their hands on him if that's what they came here for with you protecting him." He reassured him, with Gamora and Drax now standing behind him and nodding seriously in agreement. "I know a lot about these Ravagers. They may be tough, but they're nothing we can't handle. And Rocket can't be alone –and we can't think of anyone else better to stick by his side than you Groot."

Groot nodded reluctantly, holding Rocket a bit tighter on instinct though also leaning against Peter's firm touch to his shoulder. It still didn't make it easier to stay back and let them handle the rest. Especially with Mantis and Nebula's fate still undecided. And as much as he didnt want to lose Rocket again, he wasn't ready to lose any of them either. Still he relented to their instructions.

"Don"t worry about us Groot." Gamora insisted, walking up closer to rub Rocket's head and then lay her own hand comfortingly on his other shoulder. Suddenly, there was the familiar ringing of an incoming video call coming in. Groot paused but was still shooed away by his friends to go ahead and hide while they dealt with communicating with their uninvited visitors outside......

Moments later......

"We just have to take their word for it!" Peter insisted, still feeling helpless, frustrated and yet still somehow hopeful. "All we can do now is do what's best for Rocket! And getting ourselves or even him killed isn't what's best for him!"

Heaving a deep sigh of defeat, Drax's hands released his weapons while he regarded Peter with scrutiny. "We have to keep any weapons hidden from them. We can't go out their guns-a-blazing or we'll lose any sense of trust we might have with them right now! And if we go down fighting, Rocket and Groot will be next!" Peter insisted to him, before cautiously and carefully picking up Drax's knives, and much to his confusion storing them in his pockets. "So take these knives–and put them away in your pockets for now, alright mister?" He instructed with a forced smile that failed to reassure Drax, who in return looked back even more puzzled.