Neurotrauma

The moment of Rocket's awakening from his healing sleep, as expected, was not the most joyous of occasions. Yes they were more than happy, over the moon types of happy to see him up and aware. His fear and general confusion was reasonable, especially after all he went through. Still, physically and emotionally, they knew he would logically be the farthest from alright.

They told themselves they were prepared to handle anything–any issue and ailment that came. That they would be strong enough for Rocket. But this......

"This is uhh–" Gamora managed to gravelly stutter out, face screwing up in tremendous remorse at Rocket's grimacing face, as he continuously whimpered. "–(sigh) this is going to complicate things. We have to approach him with caution. Out of consideration for his feelings and mental state."

"Yeah–at least for now until he–'' Peter muttered quietly in response, barely looking Gamora's way, still too taken aback by Rocket."–at least until he's back to normal. Because–this had to be reversible." He stated with firm finality.

A deep sense of haunted foreboding engulfed Groots mind at the possibility of the opposite being the end result. The mere thought twisted the knife even further into his aching heart as it already ached enough at the sight of Rocket and the state he was left in. "I am Groot? What if it's not reversible? I am– What if he never– " His his sorrowful voice choked up at the mere thought.

"I am Groot? What if he never remembers? " He was met with an abundance of uncomfortable, quiet, and uneasy looks of dread from all of his friends.

"No Groot–this has to be fixable. It just has to be!" Peter spoke up fiercely, trying to sound confident enough. But the clear undertone of desperation that was heard didn't help to alleviate much of Groots doubts and fears over this.

"It must–I mean it will!" Mantis insisted on the fact just as eagerly and desperate. "The amnesia is likely due to mental trauma! It's rarely permanent!"

"It's true." Came Nebula short strained confirmation. "We read up on the effects that such traumas could have on Rocket mentally. Remember Gamora?" She reminded her sister stiffly. "Amnesia is usually only temporary."

Still somewhat shaken, Gamora nodded numbly, recalling doing so with Nebula to prepare for Rocket's uncertain future. "Yes–I remember reading up on that." She forced her voice to steady despite the fears and doubts mirroring Groot's. She reached to his hunched figure, still quite concerned herself, yet hopeful all the same. "You must have faith in him, Groot. He'll pull through."

After a tense moment of quiet indecision, staring in disappearing shock at the sight of his friend, Peter's mouth thins as he finishes stepping forward. He sadly looks past Groot's sunken form as he's comforted by Gamora's gentle pet to his head. Briefly his own surprisingly moist eyes meet hers, briefly sharing in the same distressing sentiment, until he looks past her to the bed.

For a moment he paused, yearningly watching Rocket up close, silently hoping to spot some new sign of awareness beyond the terror. Yet sadly, his moist wide eyes actively avoid the set of kind blue and black ones keeping close guard while crouched right above him. His body language continued to scream terror, shuddering under the thin white sheet and whimpering in fear.

Swallowing back his insecurities, he chooses to follow his team's example, rigidly kneeling down by the bed closely behind Nebula. Gamora, noticing what he was doing, pulls away from Groot to reach for him. "Peter, wait–don't scare him." She thickly tries to reason with him, pulling on his shoulder gently.

She's met with his forlornly woeful face, his eyes almost boring into her pleadingly. "Gamora–look at him." He points out to her, gesturing simply at the shivering, keening furry bundle of fear and distrust, laying flat and tense on the bed. "He's already afraid. The least we can do is make him feel safe around us. We have to show him we mean no harm." He pleadingly insists to her, equally seeking out the support of the others as he turns to them.