Memento

"Would–could you speak again buddy? Say something else huh?!" Peter quickly asked him, trying to stay hopeful without sounding forceful. But Rocket didn't seem to give any other indication that he had understood that inquiry. It seems as if Rocket himself was still processing what he'd just done as well.

Perhaps it was the shock of the unexpected action that led Peter to foolishly expect Rocket to speak again. Say something else–anything else! And with hope blooming through Gamora and Nebula, he probably wasn't the only one.

"He did it–he actually did it–he–" Nebula's voice trailed off suspiciously, a quick inhale signaling her own overwhelming emotions. "–finally talked to us."

"Rocket–honey–you spoke–" Gamora whispered out in awe, instinctively aiming to praise him for such an incredible act. Despite how heartbreaking it was to hear him speak such a word. "–you finally did it–I–we're so proud of–"

Up to this point Rocket's expression appeared the same since he first spoke. Except for the notably more glazed and distant look in his tear-filled eyes. But that all abruptly changes and he gasps in fright, his paw flying to his mouth. He begins to hyperventilate in panic. And his upper body begins to rock back and forth rapidly in an alarming manner, as if turning to almost near hysterics.

Gamora's expression falls as soon as he appears to grow distraught after the action. Remembering the word he uttered out, she quickly reaches for his quaking shoulder and damp cheek to steady his rocking motions. "Oh I know honey–I know it hurts–of course it hurts–but it's okay–calm down sweetheart."

Luckily Rocket doesn't pull away. He instead releases his mouth and reaches to press her hand against his cheek. It was as if he desperately longed for more of her touch. His wide eyes are pleading and though his breath thankfully slows a bit, it's due to sobs ripping through him. His trembling mouth gapes open yet the only sounds coming out are frantic whimpering sobs.

Gamora felt her own tears resurfacing. And when he rubs his soft damp face into her palm with a desperate weeping cry she gasps back a sob herself. 'Oh Rocket–my poor, poor Rocket–come here." She gives into the urge to gently wrap him in her embrace. Of course, she was ready to pull away if he began fighting her. But instead he latched onto her eagerly with a loud rippling wail that tore through her entire being as well as that of the other two occupants.

"I know–I know–my poor baby–shhh–hush now." She repeatedly soothes him, squeezing her eyes shut as tears slide down her face in reaction to his tears. It was exhilarating to feel him in such close proximity to her as it was heartbreaking. His body despite how thin and weak it felt seems to want to borrow against her. His tiny bandaged paw loosely grasped her shirt while twitching as if wanting to grip onto her. "Does–does it hurt a lot sweetheart?"

Beside her, she heard Peter inhale sharply. The half-Terran watched with a heavy heart as his girlfriend pressed Rocket's small body against her chest. Cushioning his head to her shoulder, his fuzzy features screwed up as he wept. Snuggling up against her while she smoothed the fur on his back and head. He admired how careful she was, cautiously maneuvering her hands around his many healing wounds, to pet and calm his crying. On top of that, Rocket was holding her back almost just as tightly. He could barely believe it.

"Awww–that's alright little guy–let it all out alright Rocky?" Peter soothed him, his own face pinching with remorse as his hand hovered near Rocket's sniffling snout. Stroking him gently across his face, he watched Rocket's eyes squeeze shut past his tears and nuzzle at Peter's hand with a little whine. "So–your hurting huh buddy? We'll fix that–don't worry. We'll take care of ya."

While they tend to him, Nebula looks on with crossed arms, torn between looking mournful and uplifted. On the one hand, Rocket not only spoke his first word since being back with them, but had also willingly reached out for their contact and comfort. The admittedly heartwarming scene had actually moved her to tears, which she had to strain to hold back. But on the other hand, it wasn't the word that they'd been hoping for. And the possible circumstances for him wanting to be held by them all the sudden were less than favorable.