Fever Dream

"I can't believe Irani is really gone." Gamora remarked, still in awe over the news header back in Hala's City square. They had left the area not too long ago and were heading back by jetpack with the things they successfully bought. Well–in actuality stole as much as it pained them to admit. "It seemed like only yesterday that she called us back on Knowhere to congratulate me back." She sadly reminisced. "I never expected it would be the last time seeing her."

Behind his own mask, Peter heaved a sad sigh. "Tell me about it. Nova Prime obtained such a reputation leading the Corps that I never would have pictured her passing away so soon. Especially from natural causes." He added, shaking his head lamentably. "You know, I gotta admit I was a little peeved at her and the rest of the Corps cause of this whole thing with Rocket. I mean I get they had a legal and probably a political obligation to get involved with that case from 12 years ago. But I was still kinda pissed at her for assuming the worst of Rocket and setting up the bounty on him. The fact she was willing to take evidence sent by some heartless lunatic before even hearing Rocket's side of the story just seems wrong! Yeah, I'm sure the press and everyone probably pushed her to it, but it still seemed like a huge slap in the face. I mean, the little guy helped lead a freakin battalion of theirs to help save Xandar for crying out loud! I–(sigh)–" He trailed off after his mini tirade, guilt and consideration keeping him from dwelling too much on his past resentment with her.

"I suppose it is harder to stay mad at someone who died, is it?" Mantis sadly noted. "Especially if they are not completely to blame for the whole mess."

"–I had this whole tirade-like speech prepared for her–but I guess you're right. This wouldn't have really been her fault. The butchers on Half-World that used Rocket like some type of meat-puppet assassin carry the real blame!" Peter snappishly remarked, allowing some acidity to drip in his voice when thinking back to the true culprits in all this. "If anyone should have died–and hopefully from a much more deserving and painful death then a stroke in their sleep–it should have been them! Whoever the hell they really are." His voice then softened, turning to Gamora questioningly. "You think things will die down now that–y'know? Nova Prime has passed? Cause of the funeral and all?" He quietly remarked, part of him somewhat lamenting not being able to be there.

Beyond her own metallic masked disguise, Gamora's eyes conveyed less than hopeful expectations on that topic. "The Funeral is scheduled for tomorrow so I'd imagine they'd be taking a break then. But afterwards, knowing how much the Corps valued her dedication–not to mention the pressure they put in right now to find Rocket–I'd imagine they'd get right back to business as usual." She bitterly pointed out. "I wonder if Dey is taking over."

They went quiet for a few minutes during their flight, choosing to keep a lookout for any less than friendly individuals they could accidentally run into.

"Ah! Here we are!" Peter now happily pointed out. Spotting the recognizable spot where their ship lay in hiding beneath its cloaking, they flew down to land.

"See, I told you we'd be back before it got dark!" Peter happily remarked as they passed through the ship's shields using their own passkeys. He removed his own mask while the girls did the same once the coast was clear, and he breathed the fresh air around them very deeply. "We have everything we need for the ship! And restacked on medicine for Rocket and Drax! Definitely worth the trip!" He exclaimed proudly, gesturing at the bundle he carried. Though his mood did sour for a few seconds remembering the bad news. "I mean–despite the news about Nova Prime–which sucks. Cause despite this whole annoying mess that has us all in hiding, she was a good woman. And a noble officer in the end." He sincerely remarked before adding much more cheerfully. "But at least we found all we need so we can get our friend out of here by tomorrow!"