Forbidden Longing

"Groot! Don't go!"

Groot's eyes snapped open upon hearing the familiar desperate voice. One he hadn't heard for so very long. His eyes eagerly seeking out his surroundings. And found he wasn't in the new ship that Kraglin had been nice enough to give them. He was in the irritatingly familiar and merciless woods of Hala. (No, no, no–this isn't right! We got off this planet! We left together! With–!)

"Please Groot–come back! Don't leave me here!"

(Rocket!) "I am Groot!" (Rocket, where are you!?)

"I–I'm sorry for how I've acted! Please–tell everyone I'm sorry! PLEASE!"

He wanted to yell at him that he didn't have to be sorry anymore. That they just wanted him home–wanted him back! Safe and sound with them! But having the sinking feeling that time was of the essence, he made his plea short. "I am–GROOT?!" (Never mind that–WHERE ARE YOU ROCKET?!)

"Please Groot–Promise me–promise you'll tell Pete that I'm–AH!"

Groot's bark bristled and he growled at the sound of Rocket's yelp. For a moment he sounded like his old self again. Scared–panicked–but still like Rocket. But that yelp sounded so uncharacteristically fearful for the normally brave Rocket. Pained and terrified–just like how he was when he last saw him. Before he was lulled by Mantis into dream land. Whisked away to safety by Kraglin. But–if that was him then–how come he was hearing him now?!

"AAAAHHH! No–NO! Gr–GROOT HEEEELLLPPP! Gah! STOP! It HURTS!"

His soul aching and his mind ringing alarm bells at the sound of Rockets pain, he moved faster. He began to frantically scan the forest, moving on instinct more than reason. He was too panicked to try to make sense of this change in scenario. Much less wonder where the others have gotten too. He was too alarmed over what could be happening to Rocket right now. All he knew at the moment was that Rocket needed him. That was all that mattered right now.

"Please Groot–please......forgive me......don't leave me alone again......"

Once he recognized the trees as an obstacle, he angrily slashed through them. Cutting most of them down a bit too easily. If only he could have torn through that escape pod and dragged that monster out of it, regardless of the elements of space. (No–no, why are you thinking of him at a time like this?!)

"Please–you're leaving me to DIE! GROOT! DON'T GO! Don't......no......"

"I AM GROOT!" (I'M NOT LEAVING YOU ROCKET!) Groot desperately roared back. "I am Groot?!" (I Promised I would never leave you, alright?!)

"But you've–you've already left me! You left me–took off without me–why?"

Groot grimaced at the harsh words, finding himself wondering if Rocket was actually referring to the time they had been forced to leave without him after failing to find him here. Or–if he was referring to most recently. He gulped, feeling choked up and guilty. Still he kept moving and slashing through the winds. "I–I am Groot....." That's–that's not true..... "I am....." (I don't.....) Finding himself lost for words, he jumped when Rocket's voice rang out again.

"Please......(hic).....(hic).....hurts.....it hurts Groot.....please forgive.....ugh!"

Was Groot's mind and ear playing tricks on him, or was Rocket's voice sounding as if he were coming from all sides of him now. Disembodied and now much weaker than before. And to even further confuse him, the forest around him no longer matched the plant-life on Hala. The grasslands were a richer green. The trees are much taller and ancient. The scenery now held a familiarity that went back to his origins. To a past that his older self held more dearer to them than he did now. And something that he yet again wanted to avoid dwelling on at all costs. So Groots face grew furious and he suddenly roared out loudly in protest, his head thrown back. Then he launched out his elongating roots and unearthed more of the brush before him. And then......