Moonshot

"I knew we had to take a chance and go after you. We knew you would need help–and we had the weapons that could help–"

"I am Groot. Thanks to Rocket. " Groot reminded him bitterly as Mantis stroked his arm–Drax offering a consoling back pat. Peter noticed the sad similarity it had to Drax stroking Rocket's head while he was mourning after Groots death–or well–his sacrifice that resulted in his rebirth.

"Yes–yes I know Groot–" Peter quickly relented in hopes to calm Groot's frayed emotions. "But I knew we couldn't wait for him. Not if we were to reach you in time. I had no–"

Gamora brought him to silence with a light touch to his chest and remorseful eyes. "Peter–you could have waited for him–you all should have. Especially if he had no way to contact you. What if he needed help?"

Peter deflated resigning–forced by his girlfriend to accept his guilt. "I knew you'd say that–which is why I didn't tell you at the time." He became resentful once again. "But Rocket should have known better than to run off like that without his communicator! Also he always runs out on us–he's always thinking of himself!" Peter stopped his ranting once he realized how that must have sounded upon seeing Gamora's disapproving look. And Groot angry muttering his own disapproval.

"Okay I know how that sounds but it wasn't about getting back at Rocket. You were the most important thing on my mind okay? It wasn't about–"

"There is a ship coming in." Nebula added, taking notice of the blinking light showing a ship approaching. They all approached the front view glass pane of the ship to spot it.

"I am Groot? Is it Rocket? " Groot desperately questioned. When the ship came within eyesight Groot slumped sadly looking hopeless once again.

"Nope–it's Kraglin. Must have gotten our distress signal." Peter reluctantly confirmed sadly watching Groot drag his feet looking longingly at Rocket's empty seat. To Groot Kraglin was like a fun uncle of his–he would have been more than happy to see him again but now that Rocket was missing...he couldn't feel much joy right now.

"So–what do we do now?" Nebula inquired, seeming indifferent–but Gamora read her sister well. She was only covering for the same feelings they felt.

"Perhaps–Rocket will change his mind and come back?" Mantis optimistically proposed to them.

"Or–maybe he is playing a prank on us?" Drax humored only drawing frowns form the other Guardians clearly not buying that scenario. "Well–he was really mad at Peter–maybe this is his way of getting even at him?"

"Pranks are supposed to be funny–this does not seem humorous at all." Mantis scolded him with a scowl in disposal. "This is more worrying, upsetting and–"

"Inconvenient, Infuriating–ugh!" Peter shook his head in disapproval and outrage. "Oh–he better not! Cause that would be an even bigger dick move then–well now that you mention it..." Peter questioned frowning deeper in reconsideration.

Gamora shook her head in disapproval at him. "No Peter–even Rocket wouldn't pull something like that just to get back at you." Groot groaned, shaking his own head in disbelief at the mere suggestion.

"Then–it's safe to assume he actually did leave then? I mean the note he left is pretty clear cut and dry–and Groot said various items of importance in his room are gone as well." Nebula reasoned logically. Groot moaned quietly, sinking further in despair as Drax and Mantis once again comforted him even as they struggled over their own uneasiness.

"Hang on–this doesn't seem right. Are you sure it's his hand writing?" Gamora skeptical asked in hopes to find plot holes over this unpreceded occurrence.