Chapter 50: No Body, No Crime

Beaux

That morning, my Carmel walked in through the door wearing her scrubs from yesterday and a backpack on her back, and her disheveled hair grouped in a messy bun. I stood up behind the couch as she tucked in her shoes on the rack, by the side of the shut door, she started walking towards our room, avoiding my gaze and not acknowledging my presence.

And like a fiend, I crave her attention.

"How was the mission?" I asked her as I walked beside her.

"Fine..." Tipid niyang sagot habang iniiwasan ang tingin ko. Binilisan ko naman ng kaunti ang lakad ko at tumayo sa kanyang harapan.

"Hey," I stopped her and pulled her towards me. A strong masculine perfume reeks off of her, as well as the smell of alcohol.

Napalunok ako.

"I-I gotta s-shower, and go to work." She said as she met my gaze. There was a hint of puffiness around her eyes, I wasn't sure if it was because of lack of sleep or she had been crying.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly.

Sandali siyang napalunok, bago siya tumango at ngumiti sa akin. However, her smile did not reach her eyes.

"I'm f-fine, just let me go fix myself, so we can both go to work."

I licked my lips before I nodded, still weirded out. This was not the woman I talked to on the phone last night. When I tried to lean and kiss her, she turned her face away.

"I haven't brushed my teeth yet." She murmured.

I smiled and replied, "You know I don't care."

"But I do, Beaux." She snapped and took my hands off of her before she walked to our room.

With furrowed eyebrows, I turned my head and watched her walk away, in confusion.

*.*.*.*.*.*

All day, she was in the operating room. All our interactions were only during that weird morning earlier and the silent ride to the hospital, because our break in between surgeries were not in sync.

I did not wanna hold her actions this morning against her. She could just be under a lot of pressure and stress out about something in her other work, or entirely something else. Whatever it may be, I didn't wanna push her to talk about it if she wasn't ready.

So now, I'm making us dinner. I switched cases with another doctor so I can have tonight off. I know she's heading home because her last procedure ends at eight p.m. I am preparing some quick basted medium rare steak and macaroni with six type of cheeses, old vintage wine, and for dessert I am making crème brûlée

I flipped the steak on the silver pan and gave it another sear, before I transferred it on the white plate. I am not worried about my mother bothering us tonight, meanwhile Arisza came back to Tennessee, she made up an excuse for my mother and hopped on a plan as early as possible. The orthodontist was really good because she managed to put her teeth back in place.

So, now my mother has the apartment to herself and unlimited money. That's why I said, I am not worried about her complaining nor barging in here. I know it's just a temporary fix, sooner or later she'll find a way to mess with me again, but just for now, I want to embrace the momentary peace and if the stars align tonight, my girl will tell me about what's bothering her.

The door opened and I smiled because I was expecting her, instead I heard multiple heavy footsteps and when I turned around I was clocked in the jaw 'causing me to fall on the floor. Three big burly men in suits and foreign faces appeared before my vision. One pulled me off of the floor, when I was on my feet two of them held my arms while the bald one stood before me and killed me with a glare.