Chapter 10: ok

Beaux

After my Carmel helped me figure out the mystery behind Mr. Lopez' case, I consulted with my fellow doctor and told him what I found out. When he agreed with my conclusion, I then explained Mr. Lopez' condition to his girlfriend.

"It might sound ridiculous pero 'yun lang po ang pwedeng explanation sa sudden heart attack ni Mr. Lopez." I said. Ms. Yezha nodded despite the still slight confusion in her eyes. "Nilipat na po namin siya sa panibagong kwarto, kung saan walang unnecessary na mga ingay. He will heal there better and faster given the cause of his condition."

She nodded.

"Okay, doc. Maraming salamat po."

I smiled professionally and accepted the grateful hug that she gave me.

Matapos noon ay babalik na sana ako kay Carmel ko, subalit ni-page ako ng fellow ko. We have to do an emergency open heart surgery to a critical patient who was in the ICU. Habang tumatakbo ako patungo sa O.R ay mabilis akong nag-text kay Carmel, informing her that I would be in O.R number two, that's why I am not going to be able to come back to her right away.

I doubt that she'll respond, but still I want to update her. Nang makarating ako sa O.R ay mabilis akong nag-scrub at sinimulan ang operasyon kasama ang fellow ko. Sa kalagitnaan noon ay may naramdaman akong nakatingin sa akin mula sa gallery. With the bloody scalpel in my gloved hand, I looked up.

And then I saw her standing in her glory, watching me through the glass wall.

For a few seconds, I couldn't help but to stare at her, because there is that aura around Carmel. That dangerous invisible cloud that makes her seem anything but a normal person.

Rather, as she stands there with her arms crossed and her eyes on me, she looks like a mafia boss in a white coat. The med students are oggling at her instead of watching me operate on a patient.

Carmel is that fine.

Nang maramdaman niya ang titig nila ay pinandilatan niya sila. They immediately looked away. She then looked back at me and gave me a gaze that said 'what-the-heck-are-you-starting-at?'

I bit my lower lip and continued operating. Mas lalo lang umayos at bumilis ang bawat galaw ko dahil nanonood sa akin ang inspirasyon at buhay ko!

The whole time I was performing an open heart surgery, Carmel was there observing and watching me. Syempre, kilig na kilig naman ako at talagang ganadong-ganado kong isinara ang incision ng pasyente ko. Nang makalabas ako ay agad ko siyang hinanap sa gallery, but I didn't find her there since according to one of the med students, she has a surgery scheduled at this time.

I wanted to watch her perform, but then, I have patients to attend to. Which is why the whole day passed and we didn't speak to each other, since we were both busy. When I looked at the surgical board that late afternoon, I found out that our shifts ended together, which is why I formulated a plan in my head. Kaya naman matapos kong maligo at magbihis ay agad akong nagtanong kay Dr. Blas kung nasaan ang baby ko.

Pagdating ko sa floor na sinabi ni Dr. Blas ay sakto naman na kakalabas lang niya sa attending's lounge. From here, I can clearly see how fine and pretty my baby is. She was wearing an oversized brown plaid blazer over her black mock neck top. Her long legs were covered in dark blue jeans, whilst she paired the whole outfit with black Doc Martens boots.

Agad akong ngumiti sa kanya nang malapit na kami sa isa't-isa. She couldn't seem to notice me until our feet were almost touching, since she was busy with her phone.