Chapter 44: Great Start

Carmel Lucia

When we got to the apartment's lobby, we were greeted by the multiple lugagges and his mother sitting on one of the guest's couch wearing her patterned quarter sleeved-dress, pearls snaking around her neck, habang pinapaypayan niya ang kanyang sarili ng kulay puting foldable na pamaypay. Immediately, I felt that void in the pit of my stomach, with the way she was looking at me as I stood beside her son.

It wasn't a warm look. She was assessing my shorts and my croptop, as though she was forming negative comments in each motion of her brown eyes on me.

"B, sino ba 'yang maitim na babae na 'yan at may tattoo pa?" Mataray niyang tanong kay Beaux. Arisza, who was standing  beside Mrs. Bistalan, smirked. Her face was void of any make up and her hair was pulled back which made me see all the viscous lines of judgement in her face.

"Mother." Beaux's hand gripped mine tighter as I felt all the tension in his body coiling.

"What? I'm just stating what I see, son." She gave me a dead look and fanned herself with the material in her hand.

I sucked in a breath and forced a smile, "Ako po si Carmel Jonas, girlfriend po ng anak n-niyo."

Hindi siya makapaniwalang tumingin sa akin, habang mas tumaas pa lalo ang kanyang mataas ng mga kilay. Meanwhile Arisza scowled.

"Nobya? Hindi ka nobya ng anak ko dahil hindi ko naman inaprubahan ang relasyon niyo."

I felt like I was punched in the gut. There was a ball in my throat as I stopped the tears burning my eyes. I knew it shouldn't matter what she thinks, but she's Beaux's mom. Gusto kong tanggalin ang hawak ni Beaux sa aking palad, subalit hinigpitan niya lamang iyon.

"Mother, that's enough." He said through gritted teeth. Good thing there were no people around, just residents passing by and could barely hear the brooding commotion.

"B, you never talked to me that way until you met whoever this woman is." She shook her head in disappointment. "I don't want any of this nonsense right now. I am tired from the long flight. I'd like to go to sleep, anak."

Tumingala ako kay Beaux.

"Hey, let's take them to the apartment and let your mother rest. We can talk about it later." I whispered to him. Despite the disrespect, my parents taught me manners and how to be a good host, just for now.

"Are you sure? I can get them a hotel."

I shook my head.

"Maybe tomorrow, but they're already here, so might as well. Okay?"

He nodded. We took a trolley and put all their suitcases on it. The ride to the elevator was full of negative tension and awkwardness but we pulled through it.  Beaux then started to unload all the suitcases in the living room while his mother roamed her eyes on our place.

Her eyes stopped on my medical degree framed on the wall just beside the huge t.v, it was beside my boyfriend's diploma and degree, as well.

Arisza on the other hand made herself comfortable in our kitchen and got herself a drink. As she walked back and held a glass of orange juice, she was smirking at me, but no matter how much she hid that glint of fear, I could still see it.

Still, the bîtch smugly stood beside Mrs. Bistalan.

"Doktora," She said and looked at me.

"Carmel na lang po, Mrs. Bistalan." Sagot ko.

".....Sa level ng edukasyon mo, maiintindihan mo naman sana na gusto ko ng oras kasama ang anak ko." Her tone was codescending.

"Mother." Beaux almost slammed the last suitcase on the floor. He then stood up and walked towards me.