Chapter 2: Maybe Next Time

Dr. Beauxdeaustreuz Bistalan

'Isn't she lovely, isn't she wonderful..'

I hummed to myself as I tossed the steak inside the pan. Matapos ang aking huling surgery ay agad akong naligo at nagmaneho pauwi. I know that my Carmel would still stay in the hospital for a bit more, because she teaches medical students.

Tonight, when she gets home, she'll have mashed potatoes, medium rare steak, and a good glass of Chardonnay. Habang patuloy kong niluluto ang steak ay ramdam ko ang hangin sa aking abs dahil cropped shirt at sweats ang sinuot ko matapos kong maligo kanina.

And yes, I am a straight man who wears crop tops. Which is why I am my conservative religious mother's nightmare. She said that I am not a real man with my colored nails and I quote 'ridiculous clothing'. She said that it's an abomination.

I hear her say that everyday, until I moved out and left the deep south of Tennessee for college.

Since then, I have had the freedom to express myself without my mother criticizing every move I make. I love her despite that and we still communicate every now and then.

Nagpatuloy ako sa pagluluto hanggang pumatak ang alas siete sa orasan.

Hindi ko maiwasang mapangiti sa aking sarili habang hinahanda ko sa kalapit na dinner table ang aming hapunan. I hummed another love song as I put out the plates, utensils, and wine glasses. Umupo lamang ako sa aking upuan matapos kong maisalin ang steak at mashed potatoes sa malaking mga plato. I then poured her a glass of wine.

In a few minutes, she should be home, since she's only gonna be in the hospital until eight tonight. At least that's what her schedule says.

That excitement rushed in my chest when I thought about seeing her.

That feeling never gets old. There is not a day that goes by that I am not into her.

Tandang-tanda ko pa nga 'yung unang beses na natameme ako sa kanya. I didn't think love at first sight was possible until I experienced it.

Mahirap i-describe 'yung pakiramdam, basta ang alam ko noong mga oras na nakita ko siya ay tumigil ang lahat.

As I watch her through the window of Vlanca's family jet, hindi ako makagalaw. Napatitig lang ako sa kanya dahil sobrang bilis ng tibok ng puso ko. There is just so much charisma, confidence, and beauty that she was radiating. It hooked me in an instant.

Mas lalo lamang tumindi 'yung nararamdaman ko noong napag-desisyonan ko na mag-stay dito sa Pilipinas para sa kanya. My decision to stay here gave me a lot of things, such as the ability to express my love for her, even though she blocks it every time. My decision to stay here also made me realize even more why I love Carmel, and.....also the reason why she's ice cold to me or to everyone.

I do not know the whole story, but all I know is that the first and only person that she had ever loved in secret broke her heart.

I see it in her eyes that she still loves Peyton. It honestly hurts and it's hard to compete with her first love.

But it doesn't mean that she's her last love.

I am not going to quit until she notices me and how serious my devotion to her is.

Matapos ang ilang sandali ay tumayo ako mula sa dining table at lumingon muli sa wall clock. Isang oras na ang nakakalipas simula noong matapos ang duty niya ngayong araw.

The food is getting cold but I am willing to wait.

...A few more hours had passed by, the cold wine was completely warm.

Looks like she's coming home late.

Maybe she's just busy. She always is.

Maybe next time, she would wanna eat with me.

...For now, I'm gonna eat alone...again.

***
It's short, yes. babawi si ate gorl niyo next u.d, okie? 😅