Chapter 24: Rookie Mistake

happy reading, my roses! 💛

***

Beaux

Hindi ko naman maiwasang mapangiti nang makita kong nag-send ng litraro si Carmel ko. It was sexy mirror pic of her from the gym. It gives me a painful bonér pero mas tinamaan ang puso ko dahil hindi ko talaga maiwasang mapatitig lang sa kanyang magandang mukha. She's just so, so pretty that everytime I look at her, heart emojis just appear on both of my eyeballs. Kulang na lang ay maglaway ako sa ganda niya.

I sighed dreamily and hugged the phone against my chest quickly, as though it was her in front of me.

Hindi ko naman maiwasang mapalunok nang bumaba ang tingin ko sa katawan niya. She was only wearing her sports bra and gym shorts in this, which was why my eyes were taking in all the bare sweaty skin hungrily.

I wanted to make it my lockscreen but I didn't want anyone to see her in this state.

I get so irrationally possessive when it comes to her. I get so greedy that I only want her all to myself, including this picture.

It's for my eyes only, and so without any second thoughts, I saved it in my gallery. Mabilis ko naman na naibulsa ang cellphone ko nang sumulpot si Charge Niña sa aking harapan. She was wearing deep blue scrubs with a matching scrubcap, her green eyes glinting with humor.

"Ibang ngiti 'yan Doc, ah." Nakangisi niyang pang-aasar matapos niyang ipatong ang case folders sa aking harapan.

"Syempre, future wife ko ba naman 'yun, paanong hindi ako mangingiti." Kinikilig at seryoso kong sagot.

She chuckled softly and shook her head.

"Isang malaking sana all na lang."

It was my turn to chuckle.

"Thanks for this, charge." I grabbed the folder stack.

"No problem, doc." She beamed before she turned to walk towards the middle part of the nurse's station where our triage nurse was sitting and charting. Habang ako naman ay nakaupo dito sa hindi kalayuan.

Humugot muna ako nang malalim na hininga bago ko sinimulang buklatin ang mga brown na folder. I had to take a meaningful breath before I start to go through my cases for each day, because one thing about working in healthcare is that you will never know what day you're going to have until you're already in your shift.

With the oath that I took as a doctor, I do not get to choose who's waiting for me, who am I healing each day, or what illnesses am I going to see.

Am I going to be seeing someone with chest pain with a family history of vascular disease? Do I have to catheterize someone's heart? Am I going to heal a normal working citizen or is it going to be a person of power? A prisoner who needed to be escorted out of the maximum security prison because he had a heart attack and I needed to perform an open heart surgery on them?

Regardless of who and whatever it was, I will have to do my job because illness does not discriminate. It hits everyone, it doesn't care how rich or poor you are. If it hits you, it will hit you.

Which is why in order for me to be effective at what I do, I often compartmentalise. Almost everyone in my field does that.

What do I mean by that?

Well, hundred percent of the time, I have to set aside my personal beliefs, opinions, even morals, and just see a human anatomy that needs fixing, because like I said, I could have a murderer doing their time in jail, in my file and I will still have to meet and heal them.