Chapter 66

"We are not done yet, mister," Lina told her son before picking up the call.

So, for the next ten minutes, Y/n and the others waited as Lina talked to the person on the phone, Sejeong, using Doctor Shin's phone as she had left hers at home, and her grandfather's phone was on low battery.

The call was Sejeong giving them updates on Sang-Il's condition and how even though his condition was significantly better than yesterday, he was still being watched heavily by the staff in case something happened.

"Alright, call me when there is any more update," said Lina, ending the call and looking at her son, who was trying to stuff the lease in his pocket, but he was too late as the former quickly snatched it from him. "What lease is this..."

After reading the details on the paper, Lina looked at Y/n with wide eyes, "Y/n – why are you renting...no, actually – how were you able to rent a building at the city?"

Y/n looked around the room before talking, "I've been saving money, mom – don't worry, I'm not involved in any kind of illegal activities," he reassured with a sheepish smile. Lina sighed, crossing her arms before watching her son – her expression wasn't easy to read. Her furrowed brows made it seem like she was concerned, but the way she was smiling made it seem like she was proud of Y/n.

"Besides, I think it was about time now that I fulfilled my promise," he continued, looking at Irene sitting across from him.

There was a brief confusion on the girl's face, but just as quickly as it appeared, her expression immediately changed to realization – she recalled the promise she had made with Y/n a few months ago, and Irene smiled. The two stared at each other for a few seconds before finally breaking eye contact as Lina cleared her throat.

"What promise are you talking about, Y/n? The promise to give me grandchildren?" not only Y/n and Lina, but Irene, Manager Song, and the other girls looked at Y/n's grandmother in shock as she talked right before Lina could.

"I—" Y/n scratched his head before shaking his head – the promise his grandmother was talking about was the one the former promised her when he was twenty-one, which was six years ago. "No, granny – I promised Irene to finally step out of my comfort zone if I can help her."

Manager Song looked at Y/n – he was the one that was intrigued this time, "what do you mean if you help her? Wasn't it supposed to be the other way around?"

Irene chuckled, finding the need to chime in as she cleared her throat, turning to face her manager with an amused face, "I will tell you the detailed story later, but all I can say is that the promise had something to do with me and the hiatus after that rumor."

Hearing her simple answer, Manager Song nodded, "ah... make sure to tell me the whole story later on," he said with a playful smile – unlike his senior, Manager Kim, the former was a lot more laid back and friendly, as proven throughout his appearance in the story so far.

Later that day, Y/n, Irene, and the rest of the Red Velvet members headed to the secret sanctuary that the former had taken Irene to yesterday, and Yuri came along with them after a phone call from Y/n. This time, however, they went closer to the river, sitting on the riverside instead of the huge rock where the older girl slipped and almost fell yesterday.

"Why have you never taken us to this place before, Y/n?" asked Seulgi as she waddled through the river's gentle current from the other side.

Y/n chuckled and threw a small pebble towards the empty area in the river, "because I also just recently remembered about this place myself," he explained as he continued to watch as Yeri and Joy chased each other in the water while laughing.

Seulgi sat beside him while exclaiming loudly, like a grandpa with a bad back, as she watched her members in the water, "this village is full of beautiful places – it never failed to surprise me," she said while drying her hair.

"There were a lot more of places like these before the redevelopment project," Yuri said, looking at Seulgi with a smile. "But most of them were now either contaminated, or taken back by mother nature," she shrugged, unsure of her usage of the term while talking.

They sat silently for the next few minutes, watching Yeri bullying Joy in the water, almost drowning a few times before Yuri and Seulgi decided to join the fun. "Let's go," the former said as she pulled Seulgi into the river.

Meanwhile, Irene and Y/n continued to watch them, already entertained by the others playing in the river. The former stole some glances at Y/n before talking, "so, you remembered the promise," she said after a while.

Y/n nodded as he crossed his arms, smiling without taking his eyes off the others in the water – standing by in case he needed to save one of them.

"Yeah, of course I remember – it would be rude of me to disregard our promise just like that," he replied. "Besides, it would be a lot easier for me to meet with Wendy if I open a shop there," he added with a sheepish smile, looking at Irene.

Irene laughed at the nonchalant answer from Y/n before leaning back, using her arms to support her weight as she looked up at the branches sheltering them from the heat of the sun – the sunlight pierced through the gaps between branches, leaving a beautiful scenery around them. "You really know how to light up the mood, don't you?"

Y/n shrugged and leaned back, closing his eyes as he enjoyed the cool breeze hitting his face and the other girls playing in the river like cheerful children, followed by chirping from a distance.

"You know what they say, Irene – sometimes, it's better to escape reality for a while, and cool off instead of letting it overwhelm you."

The quote from Y/n impressed Irene as she raised her eyebrows, nodding approvingly, "you sound like a sage sometimes," she exclaimed, eventually lying down on the sandy part of the riverbank.

They sat silently for a few minutes before Irene asked another question that intrigued Y/n. "Among the girls, who do you think would find love next?" she asked, "I mean, the question sounds cheesy, but who else can I ask about it other than the cheesiest man I know?"

Y/n chuckled, shaking his head, "you really have to go there, don't you?" he replied before clearing his throat, looking up at the rustling leaves, "if I really have to choose, I think it would be Seulgi..."

"Mainly because she seemed like a cool girl," he quickly added.

"I see..."

"Yeah..."

Just when they were about to reach the state of Zen, the girls decided to disrupt the peace by splashing the water at Y/n and Irene, snapping them out of their trance, much to the two's surprise and amusement.

"What was that for?" asked Irene, getting up from the sand and looking at her members.

Joy popped out of the water, wiping her face before smiling at them, "stop being a killjoy and join us!" she said excitedly.

Meanwhile, Manager Song and Sejeong walked around the hospital's botanical garden, the former accompanying the latter because she felt the hospital room was too stuffy.

"How are you feeling?" asked Manager Song after a while, and Sejeong looked at him with a gentle smile, shrugging.

Sejeong sighed softly and crossed her arms, "good, I guess," she said obscurely as they stopped at the centre of the garden where a huge tree was planted, and a few benches were placed around the display.

Both of them sat on a bench and watched as a few visitors walked past them and around the garden, a few of them taking their hospitalized loved ones with them.

"Well," Manager Song cleared his throat, scratching his nape awkwardly before continuing, "if you need me, I mean... if you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you."

"Thank you," Sejeong replied, genuinely grateful for Manager Song's assurance.