Chapter 59

A little later that morning, Y/n sat with his grandparents, mother, and Sejeong's dad in the dining room.

"Why, after all these years...why show up now, hmm?" Lina looked at the man in his late-40s before her. "I thought you were done with our family after what you did to my sister," she said through gritted teeth, restraining herself from lashing out.

The man cleared his throat before bowing, "I'm sorry," he said weakly, keeping his head down.

Lina sighed heavily while watching him, "I'm not the one you were supposed to be apologizing to, you know?" she said before looking at Sejeong, who Irene was restraining, and Wendy by the door, her cheeks red from her earlier breakdown.

Sejeong's dad looked up from the floor before looking at Lina and then at his daughter, "Sejeong..." he said weakly as he tried to walk towards her. Sejeong shook her head while stepping away from the man – as if it was already programmed in her head to stay away from her father.

"I was doing fine without you in my life..." Sejeong said shakily, "why do you have to come back?"

Y/n stood in silence as he watched them – a voice in his head told him to intervene, but the moment he looked at Wendy, who gestured to him to do the opposite, he sighed and walked towards his mother, comforting her instead.

Their grandfather got up from his seat before walking towards his ex-son-in-law and placing a hand on his shoulder, gently squeezing it, "Sang-Il," he started softly, earning the latter's attention. "As you can see... your presence here isn't welcomed," he said before sighing, "so I suggest you leave before we attract any unnecessary attention."

Sejeong's dad, Sang-Il, looked at the older man for a moment, tears dropping to his cheeks before he fell to his knees, "I'm sorry," he sobbed before bowing lower to his ex-father-in-law, "I am really sorry for all the pain I caused to this family," he continued as he cried harder.

The others, who weren't a part of the Kim household, watched quietly while giving each other comforting hands – Wendy's parents, who were watching from the kitchen, also held each other's hands while looking at the scene of Sang-Il kneeling in front of Y/n's grandfather.

"Apologizing won't bring mom back," Sejeong sniffled as she watched her father continuous apologies to her grandfather.

Sang-Il shook his head, his face still touching the floor as he sobbed harder, "I know, my daughter..."

Sejeong shook her head, "don't call me your daughter," she retorted before wriggling free from Wendy and Irene's arms. "My father is long gone," she sobbed before running off upstairs.

"Sejeong," Y/n tried to go after her, but Manager Song stopped him.

Manager Song flashed a weak smile, "I will talk to her," he said before chasing after Sejeong upstairs.

The whole room fell silent after that, and not long after Sejeong left, Sang-Il fell on the floor with a loud thud. Y/n quickly rushed to his uncle's side before shaking his body, "hey," he called out as he continued to shake his body, "wake up..."

Y/n's grandfather quickly kneeled as he checked for his ex-son-in-law's breath before looking at the others in shock, "he is not breathing," the statement sent the room into panic as Y/n got on his feet.

"We need to get him to the hospital," he said before walking past Wendy, who was still at the door. He grabbed the car key (Wendy's car) before looking around – he wanted to ask his grandfather to lift Sang-Il to the car, but it would be wrong as he had a bad back, and asking him to do so would only make things worse.

Fortunately, Wendy's father, who quickly read the room, rushed to Sang-Il and lifted him, "start the car, Y/n," he told Y/n, and the latter nodded before quickly leaving the house and running towards the car, not wasting a second.

***

Later that day, Y/n returned to the house with Wendy and her parents while his mom and grandparents stayed at the hospital.

It was time for Wendy and her parents to head to Seoul, and Y/n walked them to the house's entrance before sighing, "I'm sorry, Mr and Mrs Son," he bowed before looking at them with a weak smile, "this wasn't what I had in mind when parting way with you," he said softly.

Mr Son smiled before placing a hand on Y/n's shoulder, "it's okay, Y/n," he said before exchanging looks with his wife before nodding, "things happened, and sometimes, they are out of our control," he added before giving him a firm hug.

Y/n returned the hug before looking at Wendy, smiling widely. Once the hug was broken, Mr. Son cleared his throat, "you're a good man, Y/n," he said with a proud father smile, "I am glad that Seungwan chose you," he added before looking at Wendy, who quickly looked away.

"Thank you, Mr Son," Y/n replied.

Mr. Son sighed contentedly before crossing his arms, "I would ask you to call me father, Y/n, but I know it would take time for you to get used to that," he ended with a chuckle before clearing his throat. "Well, I guess I will see you soon, young man," he tapped Y/n's shoulder before walking towards the car.

Mrs. Son approached Y/n before hugging him, "See you around, Y/n. Thanks for the hospitality," she said – she was a soft-spoken lady.

Y/n smiled before shaking his head, "as I always told Wendy, you guys are welcome here. Feel free to come when it's convenient for you," he replied, earning a chuckle from Mrs Son before she walked towards the car.

Now, it was only Y/n and Wendy, and they stared at each other in peaceful silence for a few minutes, smiling before Wendy giggled, "I'm going to miss you," she hummed before hugging her boyfriend close and tightly.

"I know, baby," Y/n sighed softly before kissing her head, "I will miss you a lot too," he said before cupping her cheeks, "but I will always be here, so, don't worry," he added before kissing her.

Breaking the kiss, Y/n and Wendy chuckled before the latter cleared her throat, "I guess, I will be heading out now," she said before looking over her shoulder, where her parents were in the car, waiting for her.

"I love you," Wendy said before kissing Y/n's cheeks and heading to the car. It was the car she had left in Y/n's care, and now, she would be driving it after a few persuasions from Y/n earlier.

Y/n nodded as he crossed his arms, "I love you too," he said before sighing softly, "don't crash the car – drive within the speed limit," he reminded before earning a side-eye from his girlfriend as she entered the car.

He chuckled softly before crossing his arms, watching as the car drove away from the driveway of his house. He stayed there for a few minutes, watching the car disappear out of sight before feeling his phone vibrating in his pocket.