Chapter 26

That morning, Y/n and Wendy were sitting with the former's family at the dining table – his grandparents were talking about donating some of their harvests for the festival while his mother and Sejeong discussed the meeting's agendas yesterday.

"So," Y/n's mom cleared her throat and looked at Wendy after a while, "did Sejeong told you about the festival yet, Wendy?" she asked, smiling softly at her.

Wendy looked at her and nodded, returning the smile, "ah, yeah – she did," she answered.

Sejeong rested her arms on the table, looking at her hopefully, "so, have you made up your mind?"

Y/n looked at his phone when it vibrated – he cleared his throat and got up from the table, "excuse me," he said before entering the kitchen. He leaned against the counter and looked at the text he had just received from Irene.

'Y/n, that was you, right? Wendy is at your place?' the text reads.

He furrowed before clicking on the link that she had sent him. His eyes grew wider as he continued to read the article – his heart started racing as he turned around to look at Wendy smiling while talking with his mom and cousin.

Y/n took a deep breath before texting Irene.

'Yeah, she's here right now. Why?'

It didn't take Irene long to reply to the text.

'Oh... okay... well, that's all I wanted to ask. Sorry if I'm disturbing.'

He sighed softly and sent a GIF of Pororo giving thumbs up before putting his phone inside his pocket and sitting down with the others again.

"What was that about?" asked Sejeong, looking at Y/n curiously as she stuffed some porridge in her mouth.

Y/n raised his eyebrows, "hmm?" he looked at her before shaking his head, picking up his spoon and scooping some of his porridge, "oh, it's nothing. An old classmate was letting me know that he got hired as a sous-chef in a two-stars Michelin restaurant," he lied.

"Oh – that's good for him," his mom chimed in before picking up her bowl and walking to the kitchen, "well, I will be at the town square to help with preparing for the festival."

Sejeong got up as well, "I will be there too," she exclaimed before looking at the couple, "you two should come if you don't have anything planned," she said to them, grinning as she made her way to the kitchen as well.

Y/n nodded and looked at his grandparents, "what about you guys?"

His grandmother looked at him and smiled, "we will be at the community hall to help with ingredient supplies for tomorrow," she explained.

Wendy tugged on Y/n's sleeve, humming softly while looking at him. "Y/n?" she whispered.

He hummed and looked at her, smiling softly, "what is it?"

She looked around nervously before clearing her throat, "I know I said that I'm on a break, but I don't want to go out too often, so if you wanted to go with your family, go ahead. I will stay behind and watch over the house," she said while smiling.

Y/n shook his head, "don't worry – if you're not going, then, I won't be going either."

"Huh? But won't they need you there?" Wendy tilted her head, shocked by his decision to stay behind if she was not going.

Sejeong returned to the dining table, "don't worry. Y/n doesn't really like showing up for the preparation day," she said, going to pick up the couple's bowls, "are you guys done?" she asked, waiting for their confirmation before taking them.