Chapter 22

They broke the kiss after a few seconds and stared at each other before a question Y/n had been meaning to ask popped up in his head. "Come to think of it, your manager wasn't with you. Did you drive here?"

Wendy looked at him before nodding, "I did."

"Won't you get in trouble if your manager finds out?" asked Y/n worriedly.

Seeing how Y/n was worried about her made Wendy laugh. "Don't worry," she said after she stopped laughing. "We have a three-days break, so I am basically free from our manager's watch for that three days."

Y/n nodded understandingly before heaving a relieved sigh. "So, are you staying for the night, or..."

Wendy shrugged and looked at the paddy field in front of them, "well, that's the plan, but if you're not comfortable with me being around...."

"No, no. It's not that I don't want you around, trust me – you make things a lot better," Y/n replied quickly.

"I do?"

"Yes."

Wendy tilted her head as she looked at Y/n with a small smile, "then why did it sound like you don't want me around?"

It wasn't true – Y/n wanted her around, but he didn't know how to express it without making him sound desperate and stupid. "Trust me, Wendy. I want you to be around, but I'm just scared you might get in trouble for coming here," he explained. The reason why he said so was because manager Kim had approached him a while ago...

"Listen, Y/n... I don't want to sound like a jerk, but while I appreciate how you make Irene happier and more confident with herself, I just don't think it is a good idea for her to be around you any longer – in fact, I'm scared that your boldness would get into the girls and they start to question me all the time...."

Y/n looked at manager Kim and crossed his arms, "so, you're telling me you don't want them to have the free will of a human being and continue to listen to you, or your company like robots?"

Manager Kim groaned and sighed heavily before looking at Y/n, "that's not the point, Y/n! You don't understand, do you? They are idols – celebrities and they have images that they need to keep!"

Y/n heaved a sigh before looking at the paddy field, "why are you sighing?" asked Wendy after hearing him.

He hummed and raised his eyebrows before smiling at Wendy, "oh, it's nothing," he said, shaking his head.

In silence, Wendy stared at him for a while before crossing her arms, "are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Don't worry about it."

What Y/n said wasn't enough to convince Wendy to shrug it off, but it was pointless to argue about it. "Alright, if you say so," she said after a long while.

Y/n looked at her and smiled softly before leaning down to kiss Wendy's forehead, "don't worry about it, okay?" Wendy looked at him with a small pout, "if anything is worth telling you, then I will do so," he added before kissing the pout.

After fifteen minutes, they finally returned home, where Sejeong and Y/n's mother was cooking dinner. His grandparents were still at the potato field at the time. Wendy and Y/n sat at the dining table while watching his cousin and mother cook, "slow down. You will cut yourself," said Y/n while watching Sejeong chop down some potatoes.

Sejeong looked at him and then at the potato before clearing her throat, "don't worry, I am not the same Sejeong as last year," she said confidently before putting the potato she had chopped into a bowl.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," Y/n shrugged before looking at his mother.

Mrs Kim coincidentally was looking at him as well, "can we talk for a bit, Y/n?" she asked before walking to the living room.

Y/n looked at Wendy, flashing a soft smile. "I will be back," he said softly before following his mother into the room across the kitchen. "What is it?" asked Y/n once he was in the living room with his mother.

"You and Wendy... you guys are dating, right?"

There was a long silence before Y/n answered, "did Sejeong told you?"

Mrs Kim shook her head and walked toward the paper door, sliding it close so Wendy and Sejeong couldn't hear them. "She didn't."

"Then how?"

"Y/n, do you think I wouldn't notice the smile on your face this afternoon when you saw Wendy?"

Y/n crossed his arms, "well, how could you tell just by my smile alone?"

"Never mind that. What I want to know is what about Irene? Have you given up on her?"

The question made Y/n quiet – he still didn't have the answer to that question, and sure he could say that he did, but that would make Y/n a big liar. Even though he knows it is disrespectful of him to have feelings for Irene when he already knows that she is in a relationship, he is having a hard time getting her off his mind for some reason. But, then, there is Wendy – Y/n would be lying if he said he doesn't have feelings for her, but if he told Mrs Kim that, she would think Y/n was using Wendy as a rebound.

"I'm not an expert in this matter, Y/n. But what I can say is...." Mrs Kim sighed and crossed her arms, "it's not too late for you to sort out your feelings. I'm not saying you should break up with Wendy, no. My point is...."

"Make a decision before I hurt either of them, I get it, mom."

Mrs Kim sighed, "if you get it, then think about it – is it Irene, or is it Wendy? You can't commit yourself in a relationship when you still have feelings for someone else. That would just end up being bad for both sides."

A moment after Mrs Kim finished talking, the door slid open, revealing Wendy. "I'm sorry, Mrs Kim. I know it's rude to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help it...."

"Wendy..."

Wendy looked at Y/n and shook her head, smiling softly. "It's alright, Y/n. I understand the nature of the conversation, and I totally get what your mother was trying to say," she walked toward him and took his hand before facing Mrs Kim. "I know Y/n still have feelings for Irene, and I know it was hard for him to force himself to like me, but...."

She looked at Y/n, "I don't really care if it's just for a few months, but if I can help Y/n make up his mind, then I am willing to take the risk of getting hurt."

"I mean, it was unexpected from myself that I would develop feelings for him, so it is only fair if I give him time to sort out his feelings...." Wendy added. Y/n sighed softly before tightening his grip on Wendy's hand, holding her close.

[A/N – I am curious as to whether you guys would love it if I give Y/n a name, or should I keep writing him as... Y/n.]