Chapter 18

Wendy hiccupped and stared at Y/n in shock before looking away. "I can... I can wipe it on my own, you know?" she stammered before hiccupping again.

The latter chuckled and bought a bottle of water from the same lady before opening it, "sure, but you didn't notice it was there, did you?" he asked as he handed the bottle to Wendy. She took it without saying a word – what Y/n just did make her happy.

Y/n looked around them before buying a medium cup of the tteokbokki, "do you want to go back to my grandparents' stall?" he asked, looking at Wendy.

She nodded and thanked the lady before Y/n took her hand, holding it as they walked to his grandparents' stall. A few customers were busy talking to his grandmother. They walked past her before entering the backroom. "I don't understand why you would want to come with us, Wendy. As you can see," Y/n looked around, "it's quite boring here."

Wendy looked at him before shaking her head, "I wanted to hang out with you while I still can," she said. Y/n looked at her and tilted his head.

"While you still can? What do you mean?" asked Y/n as they sat on the floor.

Wendy hummed and sat beside him before resting her head on Y/n's shoulder. "Our CEO asked us to return to Seoul tomorrow," she stated. He stayed quiet while patting her head.

"Why?"

Wendy closed her eyes and shrugged, "I don't know... I guess we will know once we get there," she said, smiling at the way Y/n patted her.

Y/n looked at her, "is Irene coming with you guys?"

"I'm not sure," Wendy shrugged and looked at Y/n, "why? Are you going to miss her if she comes with us?"

They stared at each other before Y/n flicked her forehead gently. "Of all things that you could've said, that's what you choose?" he scolded before looking around, cupping her cheeks after confirming that there wasn't anyone else in the room.

She pouted and looked away from him, "I mean... you liked her, so it could happen."

Y/n rolled his eyes and kissed Wendy's pout, "stop," he said before pecking her lips again. "It's only the two of us here right now," he exclaimed. "So, why bring up someone who isn't present right now."

Wendy was too stunned to speak – she started blushing and her heart started beating faster. "I... uh... But... Your grandparents..." the effect of the kiss was too strong that she couldn't form a proper sentence, but thankfully, Y/n was quick to catch what she was trying to say.

"Are you worried that my grandparents would enter at the wrong time? Don't worry. Didn't you see how many customers there were?" he smiled before hugging her. Wendy smiled as well before hugging him.

They hugged for a few minutes before a question finally popped up in Wendy's head. The smile on her face disappeared as she started to talk, "Y/n..." the latter hummed in response. "I'm not a rebound... am I?"

It took Y/n a while before he could answer. He never thought about it – even though he knew his feelings for Irene were love, it felt as if Wendy was always the one that was meant for him, but he never planned of making her his rebound to get over Irene.

"No, Wendy. I never thought of doing something like that," he replied as they broke the hug.

Wendy looked at him, clearing her throat. "Then..." she sighed, lowering her head before facing Y/n again. "I know the guy was supposed to do this, but... do you want to go out with me?"

"I uh..."

Seeing how Y/n was hesitating, Wendy sighed and looked away from him. "I mean, I totally get it if you don't want to. After all..." before she could finish her words, Y/n once again kissed her.

Y/n thought about it – when he told Irene he loved her, he wasn't aware of her relationship with Suho, and he thought he had a chance. But after finding out the truth, he realized that it was hopeless.

After a minute, they broke the kiss and stared at each other, "is that a yes?" asked Wendy. Y/n smiled and nodded before hugging her again, this time, closer and tighter.

Later that day, Y/n and Wendy walked around the paddy field located 300 meters from the traditional market. They were holding hands while watching the evening sky.

"Are you sure that you won't regret your decision?" asked Wendy, still scared that Y/n's decision was the result of his hope getting shattered by Irene and he made her a rebound.

The latter shook his head and patted her head, "what's there to regret?" he replied before kissing her forehead. Wendy closed her eyes as he did so.

Wendy hummed and walked closer to Y/n, wrapping her arms around him before resting her head on his chest, "who would've thought I would fall for you?" she mumbled while staring at their reflection in a puddle. It was true – she never planned on developing feelings for Y/n, but through the days they lived in his family's house, he couldn't help but fall for him.

Y/n wrapped her in his embrace and kissed her head before sighing softly, "your hair smells nice," he exclaimed, not knowing how to respond to Wendy.

She looked up at him, "why are you smelling my hair?"

Y/n chuckled and patted her, "I can't help it. You are short," he replied and earned a smack on his chest from Wendy.

She tried to retort, but his argument was too great for her to say anything. "I... I'm of average height, okay?" she whined before resting her head against his chest again.

"Your cologne smells nice too," Wendy said after a few minutes.

Y/n smiled, "I know," he replied before looking at the sky as it started to get dark. "Let's head back to the market," he continued. They broke the hug and Wendy nodded as they started to walk towards the market again.