Chapter 40

After putting Sejeong to bed, Y/n returned downstairs, where the other three girls were silently sitting in the dining room.

"You guys aren't going to bed?" asked Y/n as soon as he entered the room.

Wendy looked at him before smiling softly, "we wanted to talk a bit more before heading to bed," she answered.

Y/n nodded and sat on the empty seat beside her before resting his arms on the table, staring at the empty glass in front of him in silence. The girls looked at him and exchanged looks before Irene cleared her throat.

"We don't mean to cross our lines, but if possible..."

Y/n looked at her, immediately catching on to what she wanted to ask. He shook his head before flashing a soft smile. "Sejeong's mom passed away when she was younger," he said before leaning against his seat, "her mother was my mom's younger sister if you are wondering how Sejeong and I are related."

Wendy looked at him, "what about his father?" she asked, and when she saw Y/n's expression darkening, she quickly shook her head, "It's alright – you don't need to answer that. I'm sorry..."

"No, it's okay. It's just that the mention of her father infuriates me," Y/n said before looking at Wendy. "Sejeong's father..." he took a deep breath before sighing, "he was the worse person ever."

Yuri, who knew about Sejeong's family situation from her parents, listened quietly to Y/n, who was more informed about it. Y/n's mom, awoken by Sejeong's voice a while ago, listened to them quietly from the hallway before finally entering the room.

"That bastard can rot in hell for all I care," she said, gaining their attention.

Y/n looked at his mom in surprise, "Mom?"

Mrs Kim sighed softly before sitting on the chair beside Yuri, "Sejeong's father was a heavy drinker and an abusive father and husband," she said before looking at Wendy, who looked the most curious about the topic.

"Even though my sister had a stable income, more than half of it was taken by Sejeong's father. He would use the money to buy alcohol and gamble," she added.

Irene slightly tilted, "Why didn't Sejeong's mom stop giving him money?"

Mrs Kim looked at her and smiled, "she tried doing that a few times," she nodded before crossing her arms, "but needless to say, he lashed out and hurt my sister."

Y/n nodded, listening quietly while taking Wendy's hand under the table, wrapping it in his as a sign that he was trying to calm himself. The latter looked at him with a small smile before focusing on his mom again.

"I mean, even if she gave him the money, he would still hurt her, physically and mentally," Mrs Kim shook her head, "there was never a day where Sejeong's mom wasn't covered in bruises when she visited us here."

"Most days, the bruises were clear as day, and sometimes, she tried covering them up with makeup," Y/n said, helping his mother convey the story.

Irene looked at Y/n in surprise, "how did you know about the story? Weren't you only a kid then?" she asked.

Y/n snickered and nodded, "You are right. I was a kid then, but I started paying attention when..." he paused and looked at the table as if contemplating something before shaking his head, "after it caused a scene in this very kitchen."

"Y/n, it's not right to address him as such!" Mrs Kim scolded when Y/n addressed Sejeong's father like an animal.

"But it's true, though – what kind of person can care so little about the place they are lashing out at?" he retorted.

Mrs Kim sighed, "But he is still your uncle, Y/n."

"That doesn't mean I have to respect him," Y/n bit back before huffing, "Respect is earned, Mom. Not given."

"You and your dad both...." Mrs Kim sighed before looking at the girls, "I'm sorry, girls, but that's all I can share with you guys at the moment," she said before getting up. "I suggest you get some shut-eye because a long day awaits you tomorrow," she added with a smile before going to her bedroom.

The dining room was quiet for the next five minutes before Y/n finally got up from his seat, "well, see you guys tomorrow," he said to the girls with a soft smile before heading upstairs to his room.

Once inside, he made sure not to make loud noises, afraid they might stir Suho in his sleep. Y/n quietly went to the mattress on the floor and lay on it. He sighed softly and took his phone from the bedside table before setting the alarm for five a.m. the next day.

***

The following morning, Y/n woke up to the curtain in his room already tied on the sides and sunlight coming into his room. He looked around before taking his phone, groaning when he found out he was three hours late from his alarm.

Y/n didn't waste a second as he quickly entered the bathroom and got ready for the day.

After getting ready, he went downstairs where no one else was in the house – at least, that's what he thought. But when he entered the kitchen, he was surprised to see Wendy preparing a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," she greeted when she saw Y/n.

Y/n smiled and walked toward her, "good morning," he hummed before hugging her from behind, "where are the others?" he asked while resting her chin on her shoulder.

Wendy smiled and placed her hands on his before resting her head against his, "they went to the potato field already," she hummed.

"Why didn't you go with them?" Y/n asked, kissing her cheek.

The latter giggled when he kissed her, "I was waiting for you to wake up, so we could go there together," she said softly before Y/n broke the hug. "But you need to have breakfast first," she continued before handing him the coffee she had made.

After having his simple yet energizing breakfast, Y/n and Wendy headed out to the field together while holding hands.

"Did you sleep well last night?" asked Y/n, looking at her, smiling softly.

Wendy shrugged, "not really," she said before looking at him.

Y/n raised an eyebrow while looking at her, "why not?"

"Because you weren't there with me," said Wendy, smiling slyly.

"Since when were you this cheesy?" Y/n reacted before snickering softly.

Wendy snickered as well before resting her head on his shoulder, "I learned from someone named Y/n," she hummed as they continued to walk.

Y/n scoffed, "Whoever that is, I will need to have a few words with him," he said, playing along with her joke.

Their walk to the field was quiet after that, but it didn't last long when they heard honking from behind them. "COMING THROUGH!" the driver yelled, and when Wendy and Y/n turned to look, their eyes widened as they let go of each other and split up.

Y/n looked at the driver in disbelief, "what the..." he mumbled as he looked at Sejeong, who was driving a tractor. "SLOW DOWN WITH THAT THING!" he yelled at her as the road started slightly downhill.

Sejeong raised an arm and waved at Y/n and Wendy before speeding up again once she went through downhill.