Chapter 16

Wendy didn't know what to say to Y/n – she was not mad at him for what he did, but she wasn't happy either. In her mind, she felt like she betrayed her best friend for letting Y/n kiss her.

"Did I go too far?" asked Y/n, worried after noticing Wendy's silence. The latter looked at him and shook her head, flashing a smile.

"You... you're fine," Wendy nodded and looked away, trying to hide her blushing face. Only then did Y/n realise what he did. He did something that he never expected – why did he kiss her? He was sure about his feelings for Irene, but now he is having doubts.

"Y/n," Wendy called while tapping Y/n's shoulder lightly, snapping him out of his thought. Y/n hummed in response before flashing a small smile.

"What is it?"

Wendy stared at him for a few seconds before shaking her head. She sighed softly before resting her head on his shoulder, getting tired of waiting for the rain to stop. Y/n watched as she fell asleep on his shoulder and didn't move an inch until he eventually fell asleep as well.

Y/n woke up the next morning and realized that Wendy was still sound asleep on his shoulder. It felt numb after she slept on it for the whole night, but he didn't shrug her off. "Hey, wake up," said Y/n, waking up Wendy.

The latter whined a bit before snuggling closer, wrapping her hands around Y/n's arm. He chuckled softly before shaking her gently, "let's go home," he said, trying to wake her up again. He finally succeeded this time, and Wendy lifted her head, unwrapping her hands.

"Is it still raining?" asked Wendy, rubbing her eyes lazily.

Y/n got up from the plywood and walked towards the blocked window, ripping the plastic bag he put on the night before. He peeked his head outside and noticed that compared to last night, the rain was lighter. "No. I think we should go home before it gets heavier again," he said, turning to face Wendy.

He noticed that Wendy was already staring when their eyes met, and he walked towards her, "what's wrong?" he asked.

"Y/n," Wendy started before getting up, "about the kiss last night..."

Y/n raised his eyebrows, "what's with it?" he asked.

Wendy walked towards him and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head against Y/n's chest. "Let's not mention the kiss to anyone, okay?" she hummed.

Y/n thought about it for a while – he had no intention of mentioning the kiss to anyone, and he believed it was just something that he did in the heat of the moment. "Of course," he replied after thinking for a few seconds. "Now let's go home before the rain gets heavier," he added as they broke the hug and walked out of the shed.

Once outside, they were lucky since not many people went to the part of the village where they were now so Wendy and Y/n took that chance to walk home as quickly as they could.

When they arrived at the entrance to the house, Y/n noticed the black van that Suho took was gone. He didn't think much of it as they entered the house. To their surprise, no one was awake yet, and Y/n looked at Wendy. "You should hit the shower. You might get sick if you stay in that outfit for any longer," he said to her before going upstairs, into his room.

As soon as he was inside the room, Y/n looked around and noticed Irene, who was sleeping on his bed while hugging his pillow. He walked towards his bed and sat on the edge before looking at her – she cried herself to sleep. It was evident from the wet stain on the pillow she was hugging.

Y/n sighed and looked away, "I should not be feeling this way..." he mumbled as he bit his lip. When he saw Irene and the thought of her crying, he felt sad and wished that he could be there to comfort her. He tried to get up from the bed afterwards, but Irene stopped him by grabbing his wrist.

"Where were you last night?" asked Irene with a croaky voice.

Y/n stared at her for a while without saying anything. "Why did you leave?" she asked again, finally raising her head and looking at Y/n.

"Get some more rest, Irene. You need it," Y/n replied, ignoring her question. He took her hand off his wrist before grabbing his towel and entering the bathroom.

Later that morning, Y/n stepped out of the bathroom and noticed that Irene was gone. He didn't think much of it. Y/n walked to his closet and put on new clothes before going downstairs – a good smell greeted him as he entered the kitchen, and to his surprise, it was Irene who was cooking while Sejeong and Wendy helped.

When Sejeong saw him, she shot him a glare before pointing the knife she was holding at Y/n, "you idiot! Why did you let Wendy go through all that?" she exclaimed before putting the knife down, making her way towards him.

"You could've simply followed her home last night, but instead, you decided to be stubborn," she scolded as she pulled Y/n towards the dining table, pushing him down on a chair.

"I..."

"I mean, you should've known how important being healthy is for someone like her, yet you let her get exposed to the rain?"

Y/n sighed and decided to let his cousin complain as he tilted his head and looked at Wendy, who was wiping the dishes. After noticing him, she looked at Y/n and flashed a small smile, making him smile as well.

"Y/n, do you even hear me?" Sejeong shouted in Y/n's ear.

Sejeong turned around and scoffed before facing Y/n again, "look at you! When I was scolding you, you were busy stealing glances at Irene. Can't you focus on me for a minute? It's not like Irene will leave anytime soon," she scolded.

Y/n furrowed and looked at his cousin in confusion, "what? I wasn't..."

"Nu-uh, Y/n! I know what you were doing."

Irene stopped what she was doing after hearing Sejeong and put the ladle she was holding down. "Wendy, can you take over for a while? I need to get some fresh air," she said, taking her apron off before leaving the kitchen.

Sejeong and Y/n looked at her, confused at her action before Sejeong smacked Y/n's back.

Y/n winced in pain before looking at her, "what was that for?" he whined.

Sejeong crossed her arms, still glaring at Y/n. "I know you like her, Y/n, but you should stop, or you will just hurt yourself. Now that you know about Suho and Irene, don't you think it's best for them if you move on?"

Y/n got up from the chair and sighed, "what do you know?" he retorted, flicking Sejeong's forehead before walking out of the kitchen, and going outside to talk with Irene.

After searching for a while, he finally found her by the street leading to their house, crying. Y/n sighed, feeling sad at the sight, "why are you crying, Irene?"