Chapter 18: The Traitor's Web

Breathing heavily, Selena approached the frozen figure, her heart pounding with a mix of triumph and relief. She raised her hand, palm glowing with an ethereal light, and gently touched the ice surrounding the entity.

The ice was formidable as ever. Selena stood tall, her icy cool aura still emanating from her, as she surveyed the aftermath of the battle. The entity lay defeated, their powers extinguished

Selena Frostbane approached Loid, who lay unconscious but unharmed on the ground. With a gentle touch, she released him from the remnants of the shadow's bindings that had restrained him throughout the battle. As the dark tendrils dissipated, Loid stirred, his eyes fluttering open.

"Loid, are you alright?" Selena's voice was filled with concern as she knelt beside him.

Loid blinked, momentarily disoriented. He looked up at Selena, his eyes widening as he took in her ethereal beauty. It was as if a veil had been lifted, revealing a side of Selena he had never seen before.

"Thank you... and how about yourself?" I expressed deep gratitude towards her, realizing that without her presence, we would have fallen victim to the clutches of that ominous shadow.

"My Mana reserves are completely depleted... and I believe I will need at least a week of rest," she whispered softly.

"Her voice is truly enchanting... Are most women in this world as captivating as celebrities?" I pondered momentarily, quickly snapping myself out of such distracting thoughts by lightly slapping my cheeks.

"Right! What about Angela?" I urgently inquired, gripping Selena's shoulders with concern.

"Ouch, Loid, that hurts," Selena complained, wincing.

"Oh... I apologize," I quickly responded, regretting my unintentional roughness.

"Do you happen to have any potions or remedies?" I asked, hopeful for a solution.

"I don't think so..." Selena muttered with a hint of disappointment.

A moment of silence hung in the air after her response, prompting me to speak up. "I'll carry Angela then, and you should rest as well."

"Thank you for understanding," Selena replied with a grateful smile, relieved that Loid recognized her need for rest.

Gently lowering myself to one knee, I positioned myself to carry Angela on my back. Carefully, I lifted her, ensuring her comfort and stability. Despite her unconscious state, I could sense the weight of responsibility in carrying her.

"Selena, please take care of yourself and rest," I urged, my voice filled with genuine concern.

She nodded, albeit reluctantly, acknowledging the necessity of recuperation. "I will... I'll do my best to recover quickly."

With Angela securely on my back, I turned to leave, my steps cautious yet determined. The weight of our recent encounter still lingered in the air, and my thoughts were consumed with the truth that I knew must be shared with Selena—a truth that could change everything.

As we moved forward, my mind was brimming with questions, uncertainties, and the immense responsibility that lay before us. But I knew that at this moment, our immediate priority was to find safety and allow Selena the rest she desperately needed.

"I should tell her," I thought to myself, recognizing that the truth I was about to reveal was far more intricate and complex than I had initially anticipated.

As we walked, my mind weighed heavily with the decision that lay before me. The consequences of keeping this truth hidden would only lead to further misunderstandings and complications. It was a risk I couldn't afford to take.

"Hey, Selena," I called out, my voice filled with a mixture of determination and unease.

She turned to me, her eyes filled with curiosity. "Yes...?"

"Before we proceed any further, there's something I need to confess," I began, my voice tinged with sorrow and resolve.

Selena's expression shifted, a combination of surprise and disbelief crossing her face. She sensed that what I was about to reveal held profound significance, something beyond her expectations of helping me regain my memories.

"I am not the Loid you know," I disclosed, my words hanging in the air, heavy with the weight of revelation.

Her eyes widened, her mind struggling to process the implications of my statement. Questions flooded her thoughts, demanding answers. Who was I then? And what did this mean for our journey together?

"Who... who are you, then?" Selena managed to ask, her voice betraying a hint of trepidation.

Taking a deep breath, I steadied myself, knowing that my next words would shape our path forward.

"I am... someone who shares Loid's appearance and memories, but there is more to my existence than meets the eye," I confessed, allowing the enigma of my identity to linger.

As the truth unraveled, I hoped that Selena would understand the complexities that lay within me

Silence lingered around us, the weight of my revelation hanging in the air like a heavy shroud. Selena's expression reflected a mix of sadness and understanding, her voice carrying a touch of melancholy. "I knew something was wrong... But... Loid, look, I know you're the same person deep down. It doesn't change the fact that you're Loid."

I cringed inwardly at her words, feeling the weight of her acceptance mixed with confusion. It was a strange mixture, one that I struggled to fully grasp. How could she still see me as Loid despite this newfound revelation? It both comforted and troubled me.

Before I could gather my thoughts or respond to Selena's heartfelt statement, the door behind us abruptly swung open with a resounding crash. Startled, we turned our attention to the unexpected disturbance.

Emerging from the doorway was a boy cloaked in a dark hoodie, round glasses framing his face, and a mischievous smirk playing on his lips.

"Well, well, if it isn't our dear Kage," he taunted, clapping his hands together in mock applause.

*CLAP!

*CLAP!

"I wonder why you haven't met your demise yet... That's a miracle in itself."

My heart sank as recognition dawned upon me. It was Steven Reeds, the one who had once fought alongside us in the treacherous Frozen Wastelands. His presence alone exuded a dangerous aura, and the glint in his eyes hinted at his sinister intentions.

"Time to end this madness, shall we?" he declared, reaching into his waist pocket to reveal a menacing revolver.

My mind raced, analyzing the situation and searching for a way to protect Selena and myself. I couldn't let Steven's words become a reality. But before I could take any action, the deafening sound of a gunshot reverberated through the air.

*SHOT!

The world seemed to move in slow motion as I watched in horror. The bullet found its mark, but who had been hit? The answer remained unknown as the scene unfolded before me.