Chapter 1: The Same as Usual

ACT I : INTRODUCTION TO SURVIVAL

February 19 2030 7pm

Nexus Academy, Central Park

A soft swoosh of the chilly wind intertwined with a weary sigh as Grey Silverstein, a young man in his twenties, stood outside the Nexus Academy. His eyes, a striking blue reminiscent of the clearest skies, scanned the horizon as his breath condensed into a misty cloud in the frigid air.

"Hey, Grey!"

The sound of his name being called echoed through the cold evening air, pulling his gaze away from his thoughts. Erica, a childhood friend with warm brown hair and eyes that held oceans of compassion, approached him with genuine concern etched across her face.

Concern etched across her face, Erica approached Grey. "What's the matter?" she asked, her voice laced with genuine worry.

Grey's gaze softened as he looked at her. "Oh, it's nothing much," he replied, attempting to downplay his emotions. "Just feeling a bit down."

Erica studied him intently, sensing there was more beneath the surface. "Is it because of the weather or something else?" she probed gently.

A wistful smile formed on Grey's lips. "It's nothing related to the weather, just my usual mood swings," he admitted, hoping to alleviate Erica's concerns.

A wistful smile tugged at the corners of Grey's lips. "Not the weather. Just my usual fluctuations." He downplayed his feelings, but he knew Erica saw through the facade.

Erica's eyes narrowed slightly, her skepticism evident, but she chose not to press him further. Erica's lips curved into a knowing smile, her unwavering support clear in her eyes.

"Alright then, Grey. Remember, I'm here if you ever want to talk." With a reassuring nod, she turned to continue on her path offering a reassuring smile as she began to walk away.

Grey watched her retreating figure, gratitude filling his heart for having such a caring friend. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he turned and made his way back to his dorm room.

Meanwhile, Erica cast a final glance at Grey's departing silhouette, muttering quietly to herself, "Stubborn."

Her attention then shifted to the surroundings as she noticed the delicate snowflakes beginning to descend from the darkened sky. "Ah, snow," she murmured, a hint of delight in her voice.

Realizing it was time to head back as well, she turned on her heel and began her journey home, leaving behind the serene winter scene.

****

-------------------------------

February 20, 2030 - 8:00 AM

Nexus Academy, Training Grounds

—-----------------------------

*CLANG!!

The room reverberated with the resounding clash of swords, filling the air with an intense energy.

*THUD!

*Aghh!

"You know you should take it easy, Vale"

Vale was a pretty well built guy with pretty brown hair with brownish eyes. He was also taller than most guys, if you saw him for the first time you would feel like he's a delinquent

But he has a problem, which is a pretty big drawback for a guy like him: he's introverted. Due to that, he sometimes gets bullied, although not physically as he's well built, but some people curse him. I don't know why...