Chapter 28

( A/n: How to Pick Your Dragon Part 4 )

Meryl was now back in the Academy with Hiccup and Stoick, and a muzzled Thunderdrum caged. Meryl pinched the bridge of her nose as the two Haddocks had finished telling her about how Stoick picked the Thunderdrum as his dragon.

Hiccup: ( to the Thunderdrum: ) Sorry about the muzzle.

Stoick: Alright, let's get me on his back. Times a-wastin'.

Meryl: ( under her breath: ) Now, we just need to get one in his size.

Stoick: ( to Meryl: ) What was that?

Hiccup: Nothing. She said nothing, Dad. Right, Mery?

Meryl: Sure. Nothing.

Hiccup: ( to Stoick: ) Look. You have to approach him properly, Dad. Especially a dragon like this. He is one of the most powerful dragons I've ever seen.

Stoick: That's why I picked him. They say his roar gets its power from Thor himself! He's the God of Thunder, you know.

Meryl rolled her eyes at Stoick with a smile.

Hiccup: So I've heard. Still. You have to let the dragon know you're a friend.

Stoick: A friend, huh? Oh! Like me and Gobber?

Hiccup: Yeah, perfect! What did you do when you two met?

Stoick: " That's my wife you're talking to, you one legged lout! "

Meryl raised her brow in confusion.

Hiccup: Not exactly the approach I had in mind. Dad, what's real important is that you let him know that he can trust you. You have to make eye contact.

Stoick: Uh-huh. Sure.

Hiccup opens the cage and the Thunderdrum slowly walks out.

Hiccup: ( to Stoick: ) Stay calm. Be gentle. And you'll know you've formed a bond when he bows his head to let you climb on his back.

Stoick puts his hand on the Thunderdrum's snout. The dragon snaps at his hand. Angered, Stoick punched the Thunderdrum, making Meryl to growl and gently pull Hiccup back from the two.

Hiccup: Hey, hey! Whoa! What happened to trust?

Stoick: Talk to him! He's the one who tried to take off my hand!

The Thunderdrum charges Stoick and he grabs him by the tail.

Hiccup: Would you stop it, Dad? This is not bonding.

Meryl: This is the opposite of bonding.

Stoick: Ah! You got to show these beasts who's boss! ( Jumps on the dragon's back ) Look at that, I'm on his back! Any questions?

Meryl: ( calmly, to Stoick: ) Just one.... Are afraid of heights?

The Thunderdrum flies around the Academy then out the exit, trying to dislodge Stoick.