Chapter 26

( A/n: How to Pick Your Dragon Part 2 )

A few days have passed, Meryl watched with Hiccup from the Great Hall steps as Stoick lands Toothless at the Haddock House. Stoick had been using Toothless to help with his chief duties ever since Hiccup taught him how to fly and showed him how easier his duties were with a dragon. Evergreen stood in between and whined as she felt bad for Toothless as he was exhausted.

Hiccup: ( to Meryl and Evergreen: ) You see that? That's what it looks like to be ridden all day by a four-hundred-pound man.

Meryl: ( trying to cheer Hiccup up ) At least you got your Dad on a dragon.

Hiccup: Yeah, now I just need to figure out how to get him off one.

Meryl: ( thinks ) Oh! Maybe you could do this thing Astrid taught me. It's called " Honey and The Hatchet "! You tell him something he wants to hear, that's the honey part, before you hit him in the head with something he doesn't want to hear. I don't fully understand it, but Astrid told me that it works.

Hiccup: Why does her advice always involves weapons?

Meryl: It's Astrid.

Hiccup: Fair point. ( Sighs ) Any luck finding Onyx.

Meryl: Sorta. I found out that he is Astrid's secret admirer. I caught him in the act of delivering a sword to her house.

Hiccup: I had a feeling he had feelings for her, he did attack Alvin as soon as he got hold of her.

Meryl: Honey, in Scalewalker terms, is called " going feral ", it's a protective instinct that kicks in when a threat tries to harm something that is close to a Scalewalker, like a family, ( blushes ) or a partner.

Hiccup chuckled before he kissed Meryl's cheek.

Hiccup: You're adorable when you're flustered, Mery.

Meryl: Same goes for you, viking.

( Slight Time Skip, at night in the forest )

Meryl was now a dragon and had found Onyx, who was also a dragon, helping a Deadly Nadder free her baby's from a cave that's entrance caved in.

Onyx: ( in dragon, to the baby Nadder: ) It's going to be alright, Little Nadder. Uncle Onyx is going to get you out.

Meryl watched in awe as Onyx used his front talons to move some of the rocks out of the way, making a small exit for the baby Nadder, he then gently and carefully pulled the baby Nadder out before the entire cave collapsed. Onyx then placed the baby Nadder on the ground and it ran back to its mother with a happy roar. Onyx then watched with a smile as the two nadders took off with a sad smile, before he noticed Meryl, and he lowered his head.

Onyx: ( to Meryl, avoiding making eye contact: ) Yes... I didn't know this was your territory-

Meryl: It's not. How come you don't make eye contact when you talk to me.

Onyx: I... I need to go...

Meryl: Wait, Onyx.

Onyx starts walking away, and Meryl calmly follows after him, she continues to talk to him.