Chapter 20

( A/n: In Dragons We Trust Part 1 )

Meryl was on Goofball, with Evergreen flying next to them with her tongue sticking out. She, the other riders, and their dragons were doing a trust exercise. Toothless catches Hiccup in the air.

Hiccup: Nice catch, bud. A little close. ( To Fishlegs: ) It's your turn, Jump!

Fishlegs: I don't want to jump! I-

Hiccup: You have to believe she's gonna catch you! It's a trust exercise.

Fishlegs: I like to do my trusting on the ground, thank you very much!

Snotlout: Like this, chicken-legs!

Snotlout falls off Hookfang. Hookfang flies on, seemingly oblivious that his rider just fell off his back.

Tuffnut: So... should we mention something to Hookfang?

Ruffnut: Let me sleep on it.

Meryl: ( to Hookfang, in dragon: ) Hookfang! Get him!

Snotlout: ( falling through the air ) Not feeling the trust!

Hookfang catches Snotlout very close to the ground, but was not able to pull up in time.

Snotlout: ( yells: ) AH! COMIN' IN TOO HOT! AHH!

Snotlout and Hookfang crashed through Mildew's roof.

Meryl: And we're so in trouble like an IceFang in a desert.

Tuffnut: IceFang?

Meryl: A breed of Scalewalker dragon.

Snotlout and Hookfang shoot out of the hole in Mildew's roof they just made.

Mildew: ( yells: ) You'll pay for this!

Hiccup: Oh, something tells me we're gonna hear about this...

( Slight Time Skip )

Meryl was in the Great Hall with the other riders, as they were asking her questions about Scalewalkers.

Fishlegs: So there's different kinds of Scalewalkers?

Meryl: Yep. There's IceFangs, SandStrikers, RainVenoms, MudScales, SeaDivers, SkySlashers, HiveLings, SilkMakers, and NightStalkers.

Fishlegs: Interesting... ( Writes this in the Scalewalker chapter of the book of dragons )

Astrid: And you are...

Meryl: I'm a hybrid. My Dad was an IceFang, and my mom was an SandStriker. I inherited most of the SandStriker traits, but I inherited some of  the IceFang's ability to see through snow.

Fishlegs: ( excitedly: ) Can you tell us more?

Meryl: Sure. But, I mostly only know about IceFangs and SandStrikers, and a little bit NightStalkers... IceFangs can withstand extremely cold climates, and their scales can be gray, white, various shades of blue and even purple, have serrated claws, and they cannot breathe fire.