Chapter 15

Meryl, Goofball, and Evergreen arrived at the scene at the same time as Hiccup and they saw that Hookfang was thrashing around and behaving erratically, spewing fire everywhere.

Meryl: Oh gods... That's a lot of fire...

Snotlout ran to Hiccup and Meryl.

Snotlout: I never... thought... I'd say this... but Hiccup...HELP!!!

Meryl went to attempt to calm Hookfang down as he shook his head a lot and rubbed his face on the ground. Evergreen stayed with Hiccup, Toothless, and Goofball.

Meryl: ( to Hookfang, in dragon: ) What's wrong, Hookfang? Wait, do you have a-

Stoick: Everybody back away! The dragon's out of control! It's not safe here!

Meryl: ( tries to talk to Hookfang, in dragon again: ) Do you have a-

Meryl saw Hiccup walk up to the Monstrous Nightmare with a fish.

Meryl: ( silently: ) Oh no...

Hiccup: ( to Hookfang: ) Are you hungry, boy?

Meryl: Hiccup, don't-

Hiccup tosses the fish to Hookfang, and the dragon starts eating it, but then suddenly spits it out into Stoick's beard.

Hiccup: Oh, sorry, Dad.

Stoick: We've got to bring this dragon under control.

Meryl: ( silently, in dragon: ) We will if you let me finish a sent-

Hiccup: ( to Stoick: ) Don't worry. I can do this.

Hiccup approaches Hookfang again.

Hiccup: ( to Hookfang: ) There you go. It's gonna be okay.

Hiccup lays his hand on Hookfang's snout. But then Hookfang roars and spits fire.

Meryl: Hiccup!

Astrid: Run!

Hiccup: Way ahead of you!

Toothless jumps in and fights Hookfang, Evergreen tried to jump in after Toothless, but Goofball was holding her back by her tail.

Hiccup: Toothless! Stop!

Meryl: ( groans in frustration, before she realized something ) ( in dragon, silently: ) How did I forget that Vikings can't understand dragon? No wonder why no one is listening to the Scalewalker.

Stoick: I've seen enough, Hiccup. I'm sorry. We tried it your way.

Stoick then left, Meryl quickly pulled the riders, her dragons and Toothless to hide behind something while watching Hookfang.

Meryl: ( to the riders: ) You guys do realize that I can speak dragon, right?

The riders looked at her in shock, mostly Hiccup.

Meryl: I take that as a no.

Tuffnut: Oh, that's what you were doing when you made a series of growls randomly.