Chapter 45: Awake

Looking at the small figure standing a few feet away from me I kept my eyes lingering between hers and the round bump decorating her stomach

It was a sight for sour eyes if you ask me which made me believe that I was still asleep.

"Baby come here" I spoke feeling my throat slightly burning with the need to drink some water.

I had no idea how long it's been since I was trapped in that burning building but I surely thought I was a dead man.

The idea of never seeing her again or being able to touch her was driving me insane while I watched the flames surrounding me but seeing her slowly stumbling toward me made all my fears of this only being a sick illusion go away.

When she was taking too long I pulled her closer, needing to hold her.

Wrapping my arms around her waist I made sure my grip wasn't tight enough to hurt her but when her crying grew louder her legs began to give in and we ended up sitting on the floor with her hands gripping my shirt.

"Don't even do that again" she suddenly yelled slapping my chest before smashing her lips to mine.

Not wasting a second longer I took over control of the kiss but when an all too familiar voice filled the room I pulled away.

"Why the fuck do I hear my baby crying, Micheal I swear to god if you made her cry again I'll make sure you'll be in hell first thing tomorrow" Sofia's voice rang out while she stormed into the house not looking our way.

Still not saying a word he simply pointed his finger toward us and she gasped turning around

"Fucking idiot give them time" she scolded Michael pushing him out of the room leaving me and Iris alone.

"Let's get you off the floor" I whispered placing a kiss on her forehead before pulling us both up.

Without even thinking about my actions, my hand rested on her bump.

She didn't seem to mind as she placed her hand on top of mine, smiling like the cat from a movie she made me watch.

I think it was called Alice in Wonderland or something like that.

"You were in a coma for 7 months" she spoke, facing me.

Fuck

"It's the gender reveal party today but I can ask my mom to send them all home and we can call the doctor to come for his checkup and then you're going to watch silly movies with me while we cuddle because I missed you a fuck ton" not expecting my girl to curse I was frozen in place comprehending what she just said.

My eyes locked onto her and I couldn't bring myself to let go of her just yet.

I woke up a few minutes ago and found out I'm going to be a father, my girl curses, and my house is filled with mafia men and women to celebrate the gender of my child.

What the fuck did I miss!

"Earth to Carter" she giggled waving her hand in front of my face.

Giving her all my attention I agreed with her plan and she left my side to go talk to her mother and call the doctor.

Michael followed me to my office knowing I don't want people to see me yet, I used the time to see just how much work I had to catch up on.

7 months of absence could run my mafia into the ground so I had to get back to work as soon as possible after spending a few weeks with Iris.

Closing the door behind us I was surprised to see my desk neatly arranged with colored pens laying around and the once-black files were replaced with bright colors.

There wasn't a stack of paperwork or a speck of dust anywhere to be seen and my confusion grew.

"You used my office?" I asked turning around so I could face Michael.

Shaking his head Micheal chuckled picking up a file and handing it to me "Does that look like my doing?".

Opening the file I scanned through the pages with notes and corrections filling the pages with color.

"She's been running everything, when you saw me arguing with her earlier it was because she was busy working instead of taking the day off as we agreed, she's been spending most of her time running your empire, sneaking out with Cassie and giving you daily updates hoping you'd wake up" he informed me taking back the file and placing it back onto the exact spot she left it.

Fuck she's amazing.

My chest swelled with pride hearing my baby take control of the situation I placed her in.

"She killed him you know" Michael breathed out snapping me out of my own head.

"No, tell me you pulled the trigger!" I refuse to expect what he's telling me.

Shaking his head Micheal lowered his head looking at the floor instead of me.

"She wouldn't listen, Carter, after two weeks went by and you were still in a coma she shut down, and the next thing we knew she was already on a plane with Casiies father" he explained.

I made Michael promise me that no matter what my baby would never be the one to pull the trigger, I never wanted her to live with the nightmares and regret that came after.

But it was too late to change anything now, she pulled the trigger, she killed him.

"I thought I find you here, the doctor is downstairs waiting for us, and while he checks everything I'll get the snacks but first could you please tell Micheal to give me my phone back" Iris spoke behind us holding her bump while sounding out of breath.

Walking closer I pulled her into my hold needing to be closer to her.

"Are you okay?" I asked worried.

"It's really hard walking up the stairs but I'm fine I promise" She smiled kissing my cheek while moving my hand to her bump and signing when I drew small circles with my thumb.

Everything still felt like a dream.

"Why does Michael have your phone?" I asked looking between them but before Iris could answer me Michael did.

"Don't let her fool you she only wants it back to make a few phone calls, she doesn't know the meaning of a work-free day" he grinned walking out the room before we could respond.

Chuckling I looked at my princess pouting.