Chapter 90 - Harriet

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet, Ron, Hermione, Anuman, and Tom made an odd group of traveling companions.

The five unlikely comrades made their camp in a remote part of a forgotten forest halfway between the muggle and wizarding worlds while they worked to decide on the best and least dangerous plan.

Anuman slithered nearby while the quartet sat talking by a roaring fire one evening.

Protective enchantments had been cast all around the area to shield them from any spying eyes and ears.

".........Tom?" Hermione asked, still growing accustomed to speaking directly with the boy who's larger portion had become the monster she risked her life to fight, "Is there anything you can tell us that may.......be useful?"

Tom's dark eyes glinted in the flickering light of the fire's dancing flames.

He sat on a log with Harriet at his side, choosing to lay propped against the heavy piece of wood while his tapered fingers idly played with a stand of her long, dark hair.

"I regret to say, but whatever connection my larger self has with Helga Hufflepuff's cup, it was formed well after my own memories." Tom answered with a polite grin, "Although I can gladly offer some insight on a few of the other artifacts in question."

"........Lovely." Hermione smiled tensely.

She found something deeply unsettling in the crooked grin Tom gave her in return.

As Ron frowned at Tom and Harriet, he found it impossible to tell if Tom's kindness had been genuine or if he had only offered his services due to Harriet being so near.

"I suppose we'd best get some sleep then." Ron nodded, "......Busy day tomorrow."

Everyone muttered their agreement before they slowly stood.

Ron and Tom shared one tent.

Hermione and Harriet shared the other.

A brief wave of Harriet's wand extinguished the fire as Anuman crawled back to the safety of his cage, conveniently positioned between the two temporary lodgings.

He had graciously volunteered to take watch duty each night, claiming to Harriet that he was more of a nocturnal snake than others, but his intentions were not as innocent as they seemed.

All night, every night, Anuman remained vigilantly on the lookout for danger, while he moved himself across the metal floor of his cage and listened to each whisper that echoed from the two tents.

While the four comrades plotted their way towards victory, Anuman plotted his way towards Harriet's heart.

————————————————————

"Do you think you'll propose to her soon?......Once it's all finished?"

Ron stopped rummaging through his trunk at the abrupt question that came from his unwanted roommate.

He blinked as he scowled and glanced over his shoulder at Tom.

A grin of arrogant malice curled Tom's lips as he chuckled darkly, "I've seen the way you look at her, Ronald Weasley. I am no fool, I assure you."

Ron's eyes widened as Tom took a menacing step towards him.

"N-N-Now, listen mate, you've got it all wrong!" Ron said quickly while he defensively put his hands up, "Harriet and I are just friends, nothing more! Never have been, never will be!"