Chapter 5 - The Battle Ground

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

There was a cacophonous shuffling around the courtroom as everyone took their final places and fell silent, anxiously waiting for the proceedings to begin.

James sat with his attorneys and his parents at the plaintiff's table.

Across the room, on the defendant's side, Lily sat next to Severus, who closely watched the scene with a scowl.

Once the motion had mostly died down, the judge banged his gavel against the dark wood of his desk and called out loudly, "The court will hear from Mr. Potter's primary attorney, Mr. Williamson, first. Mr. Williamson, if you please......" The judge nodded at one of the well-dressed men sitting with James.

That particular well-dressed man stood from his seat and flashed a handsome smile as he walked into the center of the large courtroom.

"Thank you, your honor." Mr. Williamson replied with a gracious nod to the judge, "My name is Adam Williamson and I come before the court today to defend Mr. James Potter against the damages that have been caused to him by Mrs. Lily Potter. Besides these matters, my client is seeking full custody of their unborn child."

Whisperings echoed throughout the court and Lily shifted nervously in her seat until Severus threw her a reassuring glance.

"Silence!" The judge called as he banged his gavel again.

Once quiet settled over the court, the judge nodded back at James's attorney, "Mr. Williamson, you may proceed."

"Thank you, your honor." Mr. Williamson repeated as he pulled on the expensive, blue tie that hung down the middle of his chest, "I'd first like to call Mr. James Potter to the witness stand!" Mr. Williamson confidently announced as he looked over at James.

Severus narrowed his black eyes in suspicion.

He wasn't that familiar with magical law, but he didn't think witnesses had to be involved in simple, civil proceedings.

James rose from his seat and wordlessly walked over to sit in the witness chair at the judge's side.

A court clerk scurried over and swore James in, verified his identity, then scurried away just as Mr. Williamson began to speak while his shiny, polished shoes clicked over the stone floor of the courtroom.

"Mr. Potter?" Mr. Williamson asked, "Can you give the court an account of the abuses you've endured at the hands of the defendant?"

"Oh...." James said dramatically as he placed a hand up to his temple, "I suppose I'll try......."

Severus fought the urge to roll his eyes.

"Lily Evans....Mrs. Potter....chased after me constantly when we were younger. I told her over and over again that I wasn't interested, but she just refused to leave me alone." James explained with a shrug.

Lily frowned and narrowed her eyes at James's outright lie.

Severus grit his teeth.

"So, Mr. Potter, Mrs. Potter pursued you even after you'd told her that her advances weren't welcome?" Mr. Williamson asked.

"Yes, sir." James nodded with a sigh, "Relentlessly......I've often found favor with the fairer sex, but Lily wouldn't take no for an answer."

Severus usually had enviable self-restraint, but he was so appalled by what he was hearing that he blurted out before he could stop himself, "That's a lie!"