Chapter 65 - Bleeding Souls

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"It's alright, my love." Severus whispered as he held Lily close and nuzzled into the crook of her neck, ".........I'm here beside you."

Severus's heart lurched as Lily clutched onto him desperately.

She had managed to dry her tears but she sat on the sofa with red eyes, irritated from the many hours she had spent weeping.

"Thanks, Sev." Lily whispered as she tried to sniff away the last evidence of her sobs, "I.....I'm just a bit shaken that's all."

"As am I." Severus replied in his low drawl.

As Lily reached for another tissue, he gently released her.

She could see the distress in her husband's pale face as he cast her a deep frown of concern.

"Harriet won and that's brilliant....but.....I don't particularly care to watch our daughter be chased by a murderous monster." Lily laughed dryly as she sniffed.

"I assure you, my love, the sight turned my stomach." Severus frowned.

"I know it did, Sev." Lily said with a bitter smile, "I...I suppose I went into shock? I knew it may happen, but I-"

"-You're her mother, Lily." Severus said with tender thoughtfulness in his velvet voice. His black eyes softened as he gazed at his wife, "Between worrying over you and Harriet, it was a challenging afternoon for me as well, I assure you."

Lily chuckled as she wiped her eyes one last time and laid her head on Severus's shoulder.

He gently stroked his beloved's crimson hair as he attempted to soothe her into a state of relaxation that may make sleep possible for her that evening.

".........Sev?" Lily asked.

"Yes, my love?" Severus answered.

"I'm going to die soon." Lily smiled.

Severus instantly pulled back to look at her as he furrowed his brow at Lily.

His face twisted into an incredulous scowl of mournful questioning as he stared at his wife in disbelief.

Lily stared at Severus with determination as she nodded and said, "When Harriet faces him.....Voldemort......I won't freeze again....I won't sit idly by and watch our little girl fight for her life. I'll......I'll have no choice but to do everything I can to protect her."

"Lily......." Severus began as a grey shadow of dread passed across his face, "The scene will be harrowing, certainly, but she is the Chosen One, you are not. She-"

"-is my daughter." Lily interrupted him with a solemn frown of resolution.

Severus's dark eyes softened as he watched his flower sigh, "I am her mother, Severus. I bore her, I nursed her, I raised her.....with your help every step of the way."

Lily flashed him a bittersweet smile as she went on, "You've given us so much of yourself without ever having to.....You've loved me, loved Harriet, loved Ellery, and looked after us.....cared for us. But one day, Sev, it'll be my turn to sacrifice."

"Oh, Lily........" Severus breathed.

The anguished torment in his black eyes filled Lily's broken heart with the urgent need to comfort her spouse.

Severus opened his mouth to speak, but his darling cut him off as she leaned in, cupped his face in her hands, and pressed a tender, loving kiss to his lips.