Chapter 11 - A Better Place

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Lily Evans Potter was dead.

She was buried in a simple grave, under a simple tree, in a simple cemetery where the sun shone beautifully over her plot in eternal remembrance of her kind smile.

Lily's stillborn son was buried beside her, with a small, grey headstone that stood mournfully next to his mother's.

The turnout for the funeral was impressive, with friends, family, and Lily and James's old classmates in attendance.

Euphemia and Fleamont Potter came as well.

The caskets were closed during the service.

While James watched as they were lowered into the earth, he was glad that he hadn't had to look at Lily and the baby.

He didn't want to see his infant's lifeless face or the paleness of Lily's eyelids that had been closed in death.

James didn't want to face the totality of what he had lost.

Remus Lupin and Sirius Black were loyally at his side, next to his parents.

James numbly watched as the gravediggers waved their wands and covered the holes of his ruined victories with fresh earth.

Watched.

James hadn't cried, James hadn't screamed, he had only.....watched.

"We're so sorry, James." Remus said softly as he held onto his friend's shoulder.

"Lily and the baby are in a better place now." Sirius whispered as he patted James's back comfortingly.

Mr. and Mrs. Potter had no tears for their son's deceased wife, but they had plenty for their grandson that death had stolen from their arms.

Behind James, Euphemia and Fleamont Potter wept quietly while their son stared blankly at the two gravestones.

The crowd of mourners in attendance slowly began to respectfully turn away and depart from the cemetery as the afternoon wore on.

One nondescript funeral attendee moved through the crowd unnoticed and unrecognized.

He pulled the hood of his black robe more closely over his face as he made his stealthy escape.

He was as eager to hide his smirk as he was to conceal his identity.

Severus contemplated what he had just overheard.

For once, Sirius Black had been right about something.

Lily and the baby were indeed in a far better place.

—————————————————————

"How did it go?" Lily asked Severus after he returned to his living chambers at the castle.

Before he even spoke, he swept over to her, bent down, and stole a gentle kiss from her sweet lips while baby Harriet cooed in her arms.

Severus pulled away from Lily and peered down at the baby, who laughed and reached up to gently pat his face in fond recognition.

"......You'll be greatly missed." Severus replied to Lily in his low drawl.

"I love you." Lily said with a sigh as she leaned forward and pecked Severus's cheek.

His dark gaze softened as he looked at his lover.

Severus opened his mouth to reply when a squeal from baby Harriet stopped him.