Chapter 21 - Feel good?

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Three days later, Severus and Lily returned to the midwife's office for the disclosure of Lily's pregnancy test results.

The anxious couple had shared a torrent of emotions while they had waited, but the midwife's words brought their wild musings to a screeching halt.

"Mr. Snape, Miss Laima," The midwife said with a tense smile as she looked at the couple, "I'm afraid that the pregnancy test results were negative. I can prescribe a bit of energy tonic to resolve the fatigue.....Laima, the tenderness in your breasts is most likely from a surge in hormones due to the lateness of your cycle, which may be from stress. I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you."

Lily forgot her ruse of not understanding English well as she frowned and nodded.

Severus's face fell into a deep scowl when he heard the news.

Was he........disappointed?

"I'll write that prescription, then you two will be free to go." The midwife smiled at the couple, "Do either of you have any questions for me?"

"No." Severus replied quickly, ".......No questions."

The midwife nodded and left the room.

As Lily raised a hand to wipe away the annoying tears that gathered in her eyes, Harriet's gentle coo mercifully shattered the heavy silence that followed.

Severus bounced his infant daughter in his arms as he reached out and grasped Lily's hand while he comforted her, "My love, don't weep, it's just as well that another child won't be joining us now. The world is too dangerous.......it would only complicate our situation further."

"I know." Lily said as she sniffed. She nodded bravely as she forced back her tears and sat up from the examination table, "You're right, Sev. It's for the best."

Severus frowned while he followed Lily out of the midwife's office.

Harriet saw the serious expression on her father's face and she put a little hand in her mouth as she furrowed her tiny brow along with him.

Severus hated it when Lily was anything less than happy.

It bothered little Harriet to see her Daddy look so.........sad.

—————————————————————

Lily said nothing else about their visit to the midwife, but Severus noticed the melancholy look that marred her features for the rest of the day.

As they laid down to sleep that evening, while Harriet snoozed in her cot, Severus slid into bed behind Lily.

He pulled her tightly against his chest and purred softly in her ear, "My heart can't bear to see you so dismayed, my love."

"I'm not dismayed, Sev." Lily replied with a sigh, "Just a bit let down, I suppose."

Severus placed gentle kisses along her throat and shoulder while she went on, "....Another baby would be a nightmare right now, with the war and everything, I'm no fool."

"No one could possibly think of you as a fool, Lily." Severus drawled as his lips found the sensitive base of her neck.

"I just......" Lily gasped as Severus nipped at her flesh, "I just fell in love with the idea of bearing your child, Sev."

As she sighed at her own confession, Severus sat up in bed and gazed down at her.

His black eyes glinted in the darkness of their room.