Chapter 81 - Draco's Pain

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet usually enjoyed social situations.

Friendly and extroverted, she preferred to spend her time in the company of those she held dear.

By that fact, it was proof of her burden that as the semester began to progress, she chose to become more and more......alone.

If Ron and Hermione asked her to study together, she had other plans.

Whenever the Gryffindor Quidditch team went to The Three Broomsticks for a celebratory Butterbeer, Harriet was nowhere to be seen.

Her smiles faded.

Her laughter vanished.

One day after a particularly punishing match, instead of joining everyone to commemorate Gryffindor's victory, Harriet escaped the stadium and walked down to sit by the Black Lake.

The day was chilly, yet she barely noticed the cool breeze that blew against her face.

Tom.

Voldemort.

Tom.

Voldemort.

Her parents.

How could her parents-

"Out here all alone, eh, Snape?" A voice called.

Harriet didn't even turn her head to see who had addressed her.

"Shove off, Malfoy." She called as she kept her eyes fixed on the water, "Shouldn't you be hiding somewhere with your tail between your legs? Slytherin lost by a hundred points."

"Somehow I don't really think you care." Draco said as he obstinately walked over and sat down next to Harriet.

He frowned when she failed to face him.

"I don't really care about anything now." She whispered.

".........He really had a hold on you, didn't he?" Draco asked.

Without warning, Harriet turned to look at him at last as her eyes widened, "Who.......?!?!"

"That boy.......in the cave." Draco said as he narrowed his eyes, "Your-

"-Oh......." Harriet sighed. She looked back at the water as she shrugged, "Never mind him, I don't want to talk about it."

"You can talk about it.......if you want." Draco said quietly, "We'll be married in a few years. I can't think of anyone who could listen better than your future husband."

"Leave me alone, Malfoy." Harriet huffed as she stood abruptly.

Draco stood with her and watched as she walked away before she turned her head and called over her shoulder, "........PERMANENTLY!"

As Harriet walked along the outer curve of the large lake, Draco frowned while he stared at her disappearing silhouette until she had gone from his sight.

She had failed to notice that she and Tom were not the only ones with broken hearts at Hogwarts.

—————————————————————

Severus's progress on the potion had been slow.

He had worked closely with Dumbledore to determine how best to use their unexpected opportunity.

Severus and Lily were present the night during Hogwarts' autumn recess that Draco was called into the Death Eater meeting.

He had worn his best black suit, positive that if he had merited an invitation to another one of the adults' conferences, surely his darling would be there as well.