Chapter 42 - Severus's Guardian

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet had told Ron and Hermione the truth about her bad dreams that had started after the winter recess.

With endless questions and odd clues swirling around in her mind, Harriet's nightmares worsened after Hermione found the scrap of newspaper that fell from their suspicious professor's pocket.

A flash of green.

A sting of pain in her scar.

The horrible vengeance in a huge snake's unfeeling eyes.....

Harriet woke with a shout and a violent shake, drenched in sweat as she whimpered.

She rose from her bed, changed her clothes, and lay back down to sleep, but she knew she would not find any peace.

Each night had become a new terror.

Harriet's bad dreams gradually worsened as the end of the school year approached.

She tossed and turned so restlessly in bed after each horrible vision that most nights, she found herself unable to get much sleep at all.

Severus noticed the dark circles under his daughter's eyes as she sat in Potions class each day while the final weeks of the semester droned on.

It was Severus who eventually sent Harriet to the Hospital Wing, where Madam Pomfrey gave her a bottle filled with Sleeping Draught for her to take each night.

Harriet swallowed her prescribed medicine, but the magical mixture did nothing to stop the terrors that tormented her after she closed her eyes.

As she lay in a fitful sleep one evening, she could see it as clearly as if it happened right in front of her.......

In her dream, she followed Professor Quirrell as he walked down the stone corridor to a distant part of the castle.

Harriet watched as he opened a hidden passage and made his way down a stone staircase into a strange room illuminated by flaming torches.

She grit her teeth in her sleep as she saw her father standing in the room, waiting for Quirrell.

The two men snarled in fits of rage as they each raised their wands to point at the other.......

Quirrel pulled back with a great shout and sent a curse flying directly towards her father.

Before Harriet could see what happened next, she woke from her sleep as she sat bolt upright in bed as a dry gasp escaped her throat.

She didn't bother to wake her roommates or send for Professor McGonagall.

Instead, she leapt from her bed, grabbed her night robe, and hurriedly pulled it on as she rushed out of her dormitory.

Filch and Mrs. Norris became the least of Harriet's concerns as she raced through the castle to retrace the path she had watched her evil teacher take.

As Harriet opened the door to the hidden passage that her dream had revealed, her heart thumped in her chest.

She hoped she wouldn't be too late to stop the entirety of her latest nightmare from coming true.

—————————————————————

Whether by some ability she had inherited from Voldemort or by her own magical competency, Harriet had indeed witnessed a partially true event in her dreams that night.

Quirinus Quirrell stood in that secret room as he prepared to summon Voldemort to his side with the Philosopher's Stone in his pocket and the truth he had recently uncovered dancing in his mind.