Chapter 36 - Where have you been?

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"I must say, Severus, it was quite ingenious of you to use a muggle farm as a way to hinder Voldemort's bloodlust." Professor Dumbledore commended Severus from his desk.

"Thank you, sir." Severus nodded as he stood across from the headmaster.

The two men gazed at each other for a moment during their private meeting in Dumbledore's office.

Their secret discussions had become more frequent since Voldemort's reappearance.

"You continue to surprise me." Dumbledore mentioned as he stared over his spectacles at Hogwarts' youngest Potions Master, "I've no doubt that you'll do very well in this new role Voldemort has cast you into......And while you continue your work for the order, the new intelligence you bring will be invaluable to us."

Severus frowned while he listened.

A small smile crept across Dumbledore's face as he asked, "Have I said something to displease you, Severus?"

"No, sir." Severus replied as his frown remained, "However......I wanted to inquire if I may request a favor from you?"

"Oh?" Dumbledore blinked, "And what might that be?"

"If you learn of my untimely death.....or unexplained disappearance, please......headmaster, I beg you..." Severus implored Dumbledore as his frown deepened, "....Do anything and everything within your power to protect Lily and the children."

Dumbledore frowned as the seriousness of Severus's plea hung like a metal curtain in the air between them.

"Have I not stayed true to my word, Severus?" Dumbledore asked.

"You have, yes, sir." Severus nodded.

"Then rest assured that should anything happen to you, I will do my best to protect Lily and the children from harm....Though I can hardly guarantee Harriet's safety in the long run due to the nature of her birth." Dumbledore replied.

"Of course, headmaster....I understand." Severus nodded.

His words were respectful.

His face maintained its usual stoic expression of seriousness, which masked his rage rather well as he turned and glided towards the door of Dumbledore's office.

"......Severus?" Dumbledore called as he watched his spy lift a hand towards the doorknob.

"Yes, sir?" Severus asked as he whirled around.

"I'll do my best, as you're doing yours." Dumbledore vowed.

"Thank you........sir." Severus replied in a voice barely above a whisper before he turned back around and took his leave.

Once he had gone, Dumbledore stared off in silent, contemplative thought before he stood from his chair and shuffled towards the Pensieve.

While Severus strode down the hallway with his heavy, black robes billowing behind himself, he grit his teeth in consternation.

He had not found the headmaster's vow to be satisfactory.

Severus hadn't come to Dumbledore seeking empty promises of supposed attempts at guarding his wife and little ones.

He had wanted an unarguable guarantee, an indisputable truth.

Severus spoke his fear of his own imminent demise to no one, not even Lily, yet day and night, that terror weighed on his mind.