Chapter 78 - The Helpful Friend

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet spent the rest of the day and evening in her room.

Ellery enjoyed dinner with his family, but hours later, once it was time to retire for the night, Lily sighed as she noticed the plate of food she had placed outside Harriet's door remained untouched.

She and Severus exchanged frowns before she walked over, took the plate down to the kitchen, and disposed of its contents.

Severus waited patiently for Lily to return to his side before they continued their walk.

"You could have cleaned it with magic, my love." He frowned.

"I could have......sorry, I'm not thinking very well right now, I'm afraid." Lily sighed, "She can't stay like this forever, Sev."

"If we were to tell her the truth, all of it, in every detail, there may be......some improvement." Severus drawled.

"Tell her the truth?" Lily scoffed, "And what will happen then when she tells Ellery? And when he reads their minds? He'll-"

"-Which is the exact reason why I have not told her the truth as of yet, my love." Severus frowned.

Lily let out an amused chuckle at their cruel situation while Severus escorted her inside their bedroom and closed the door.

"This was a lot simpler years ago." She said as she passed a hand over her face.

"He was also much weaker years ago." Severus replied, "We understood then that these times would eventually arrive, Lily. Have no doubt, Harriet will be victorious.......The war will end.......and its conclusion will allow us to exist in peace."

"Do you honestly believe that?" Lily asked as she stood in front of Severus and scanned his face with a questioning stare, "Or are you just trying to comfort me?"

Severus would not confess to his flower that both her guesses had been correct.

He wouldn't dare decrease Lily's confidence by watering the seed of fear in her mind.

Harriet had to win.

The war had to end.

There was no other reality in which all four Snapes would enjoy the privilege of living out the rest of their lives in a tranquil state of undisturbed, domestic bliss.

Severus raised his pale hands to cup Lily's face in his palms while he gazed at her.

The fabric of the white ruffles at the end of his long, dark sleeves brushed against Lily's face as he urged her, "Remember my vow, my love.......Remember my vow."

Lily sighed as they drew closer together.

Silently, their lips met.

Their affection was slow and gentle at first, until the urge to be as near one another as possible consumed them both.

Severus dropped his hands to snake his strong arms around Lily's lithe waist while she hungrily accepted her husband's loving kiss.

The gentle groan that left her lips sent Severus gently leading her towards their new destination.

Lily's fingers knotted in the thick fabric of his heavy, dark robes as they tumbled backwards onto their waiting bed.

Their coupling wasn't immediate, it came only after a thorough exchange of tender touches and intoxicating kisses.