Chapter 76 - Remembering Cedric

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Severus kept Lily in his thoughts as his world collapsed into chaos over the next hour.

With Dumbledore and the Minister for Magic's assistance, who arrived far too late, the trio managed to discover Cedric's body.

At the crime scene, they found only the doomed student's corpse.

Voldemort, Nagini, and Peter were nowhere to be seen.

"My goodness, Albus!" The Minister for Magic gasped as the three men frowned down at Cedric, "What on earth happened to the poor boy?!"

Dumbledore glanced at the nearby, elaborate tombstone and the names it bore before he gave his reply to the Minister, "I believe, Cornelius, that this was in fact, Tom's work."

The Minister's eyes widened as he gasped, "Y-Y-Y-You mean.....? You mean.....?!"

"Minister, I believe the headmaster is correct. However, the boy's last memory should still be viable, if you deem such an examination appropriate." Severus drawled.

The Minister for Magic gaped at Severus.

"........Regardless, given the nature of the crime and its location, it seems almost undeniably likely Mr. Diggory was indeed......killed by the Dark Lord." Severus concluded.

As Severus helped Dumbledore return Cedric's body, the Minister for Magic shielded himself from the startling news by clinging to disbelief as he hurled question after question at them both.

His own fear blinded him to the moment's grief.

Neither Severus nor Dumbledore wanted to answer any questions as they both silently mourned the terrible tragedy that had taken place.

————————————————————

The gut-wrenching wails that tore from Amos's throat shattered Severus's heart.

He held Lily closely against him, who sobbed into his chest while every person in the stands watched the morose scene unfold.

Cedric was respectfully covered by a sheet, then uncovered by his sobbing father.

Three professors attempted to restrain Amos as he clawed at the body, but the inconsolable man's strength was admirable as he fought them all off to clutch his dead son.

As Lily glanced up, through her teary eyes, she saw Severus biting back his own sobs.

"It's not your fault, sweetheart!" She whispered as she gave him a gentle shake until he met her gaze.

"Severus!" Lily repeated as she sniffed, "It's not your fault, alright?!.......You tried! You went into the maze! You-"

"-And yet, my efforts proved to be inadequate." Severus interrupted.

"Sweetheart!" Lily whispered as she held him close and rubbed his chest as he enveloped her in his black cloak, "Oh, sweetheart!"

—————————————————————

Peter had cleverly managed to resume his human form for a mere three seconds once he had gained enough of a head start on Nagini.

Just as she spotted him, he gave her a silly little wave while a self-satisfied smirk spread across his lips the second before he apparated away.

Instead of unleashing his anger on his loyal servant, Voldemort chose to flee with Nagini and return to Malfoy Manor where he could begin planning his next strategy.