Chapter 66 - Yule Ball Part I

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"Sev......." Lily smiled as she sat at her vanity.

Severus frowned while he paced the floor across from her in brooding anger.

"Harriet's flowers probably came from Draco." Lily surmised as she held the mysterious note in her hand which their daughter had shown them, "I know you've seen the way he looks at her."

"Harriet despises the Malfoy boy." Severus snapped.

"She does.....yes." Lily shrugged, ".....But that wouldn't necessarily stop him from asking her to the ball."

"We should put an end to this before it begins." Severus fumed, "You and I will be at the bottom of the stairs at the time and date specified on that note." He nodded at the paper in her hands.

Lily blinked.

Severus frowned in silent response.

"Sev.....?" She asked.

Severus silently waited for her to finish her question.

".......Surely you haven't forgotten they are...technically....engaged?" Lily asked.

Severus's expression soured as he jerked his head and resumed his slow, calculated pacing while he hissed, "Are we expected then to push them together as children? It is a poor reflection on our school's morals that fourth years are allowed to attend the event!.......The Yule Ball should be exclusive to students in their final term."

Lily smiled softly as she watched her husband pace.

She realized his paranoid anxiety resulted from his love for Harriet and his desire to protect her.

Lily quietly stood and walked over to Severus.

She caught him in his return lap towards the bed as she cupped his face in her hands and gazed into his dark eyes.

Her promise fell from her lips like a sweet, soothing melody, "We'll watch them all night, Sev......They won't do anything foolish, we'll see to it."

Severus frowned as he leaned forward and gladly accepted the loving kiss Lily gave him.

Once she pulled away a moment later, she laughed as she looked into his eyes and smirked, "Besides, we may not have anything to worry about anyway."

Severus furrowed his brow until Lily went on, "She can't stand Draco in the least.....I wouldn't be surprised if she left him standing at the bottom of the stairs and went on without him."

As she leaned forward for another kiss, Severus dreamed of his wife's suggested outcome.

Severus Snape did not take kindly to anyone pursuing his daughter, though neither he nor Lily realized Draco was the least of their worries as far as Harriet's romantic interests were concerned.

—————————————————————

"Why do you look so angry, Dad?" Ellery asked as he sat next to Severus while they each read from the books they held.

"I do not......look.....angry." Severus glowered without glancing up from his page.

"You seem furious." Ellery frowned as he stared at his father scrutinizingly.

"I am not......furious." Severus insisted in a low whisper.

"You're gnashing your teeth." Ellery observed.