Chapter 19 - Life

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Two weeks after the interesting encounter with his double, Severus lurked by the small window in his dungeon office as he ripped a piece of parchment in his hands to tiny, insignificant shreds.

Slowly, the bits of James Potter's latest letter crumbled to the stone floor at his feet.

As the pieces gathered around Severus's black leather shoes, the original message could nearly be read:

To the thief,

Give me back what is mine. You can keep the red if you have one, but I'll need the miniature. Return him to me promptly and I'll spare you from harm. I've grown tired of waiting, I'm searching for him as I write this.

Perhaps this letter is your last chance,

The Better Wizard

Once Severus had finished tearing the letter to fragments, he opened his hand and allowed the last of its pieces to fall onto the cold floor.

His brooding, black gaze stared straight ahead as he murmured a single incantation.

The pieces of parchment at his feet immediately burst into flames and burned away, without leaving any marks on Severus or the floor.

Professor Snape silently stared out the window as he thought........

It had been incredibly difficult not to seek James out.

He could easily find his enemy and kill him, but that would arouse suspicion and worst of all.......Lily's scorn.

Not to mention that Voldemort would be angry the father had been slaughtered before the son, on the rare chance that James had information about his missing child which he could offer.

Severus had become so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice the second owl that entered his office that morning and promptly dropped a single, black letter down onto his desk.

A few moments before classes began for the day, he turned around at last and frowned at the unusual envelope.

Had Potter not tormented him enough?

Did he feel the need to send blackened envelopes to prove his point?

Severus snatched the letter up with a growl and hastily tore it open.

His tormented face relaxed as he read over the silver words that had been elegantly placed on the black page inside the envelope:

To Mr. Severus Snape,

Your order is ready. Please stop by as soon as possible for inspection and pick up.

Slindelyn's Shimmering Somethings

With those words, Severus's anger about James Potter evaporated as a new and exciting anxiety swelled his chest.

—————————————————————-

In Dumbledore's office that morning, Hogwarts' headmaster blinked over his spectacles at his unexpected visitor.

Across from him, James Potter sat with a frown as he regarded his leader.

"Professor Dumbledore, surely you must know something! Isn't there anything at all that you can do to help me?!" James hissed as he furrowed his brow, "I know that my son is alive! Snape has to have information about his whereabouts! Lily was living with him here, Lily was-"