Chapter 9 - The Birth of Harriet Potter

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Nervously, Severus took Lily out of the castle once again on the morning of July thirty-first for her remediation in her ongoing court battle against James.

It was a warm summer morning, which made Severus pity his darling while he escorted her to the Ministry.

The summer heat didn't agree much with expectant mothers.

Although Severus had done everything possible to see to Lily's comfort, as she approached the birth of her child, there were aches and pains that no matter what he tried, he couldn't manage to assuage.

Lily spent the better portion of her time resting and Seveus felt truly fortunate that school was not currently in session.

That meant that there were few obstacles stopping him from hovering over Lily.

He didn't crowd her and he was still careful to attend to his duties, but Lily's comfort and health were his top priorities.

Although she had two weeks left in her pregnancy, Severus had made it a point to study the subject of childbirth in great detail.

He had taken it upon himself to prepare a variety of tonics, elixirs, teas, and creams that he could offer to Lily when the time came.

He hoped to ease the unpleasantness of Lily's task as much as possible, she already had enough unpleasantness to confront.

Severus resisted the urge to place a supportive hand on the small of her back as they entered the Ministry courtroom that afternoon.

When he heard Lily blow out a breath and place her palm just below where her ribs ended, next to her spine, Severus had to stop himself from reaching out and rubbing the tension from the area.

It had both amused and surprised Severus that though Lily carried James Potter's child, the more her pregnancy progressed, the more protective he became of her.

It didn't matter that it wasn't his son or daughter swelling her belly, she was still his Lily.

His Lily was vulnerable.

His Lily needed him.

His Lily wanted him and that was enough to light up Severus's world.

Severus was careful not to touch her, but he loyally stood next to her as they faced the judge together.

A short distance away, James Potter smirked at his pregnant wife like she was a great joke.

Don't let Potter bother you, Lily.

Severus whispered inside her mind, in a place he knew that only she could hear him, using a form of legilimency that only very capable practitioners could correctly perform.

You're as lovely as a queen.

Despite Lily's anxiety as she stared at the judge, she glanced over at Severus and flashed him a quick, grateful smile of appreciation.

The faint hint of a blush covered her cheeks and that provided Severus with a small surge of relief as he stood there.

Alleviating Lily's troubles happened to be one of Severus's most preferred pastimes.

Besides, he hadn't spoken frivolous phrases or mollycoddling non-truths

Lily Evans was Severus Snape's queen.

Lily Evans Potter, her last name an ugly reality that Severus couldn't deny as he glared over at his sneering enemy while the judge ceremoniously banged his gavel on his desk and prepared to speak.