Chapter 85 - Family

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Severus and Lily left the castle exhausted that night, too tired to make their usual appearance at the Great Hall's dinner after an unusually rigorous day of classes.

"I'll warm some leftovers from Sunday." Lily sighed as Severus sank into a dining chair after they returned to their cottage.

".........That sounds wonderful, my love." He whispered as he passed a hand over his pale face.

"We could have eaten at the castle." Lily chuckled, "......The food would have been better."

"Nonsense." Severus drawled. His dark eyes narrowed at his wife while he watched her bustle around their small kitchen, "Regardless, I confess that the food was the least of my concerns......I craved your private audience, my dear, above any form of sustenance."

"You're sweet, Sev." Lily giggled as she glanced up at her husband.

She blushed at the hunger reflected in Severus's black gaze.

Lily knew their quiet evening would most likely develop into physical intimacy, but that wasn't all she found intriguing about Severus's dedicated stare.......it was his great need for her.

Not just her body, not just pleasure, but her.

Severus wanted more than anything else in the world to be near Lily, to be close to Lily, to have Lily at his side.

He rose from his seat despite his exhaustion to help his dear wife prepare and serve their meager meal.

A short while later, they ate together at the table while they stole glances at each other.

Silently, Lily slid a hand towards Severus and opened it in a quiet ask.

Eager to hold her palm in his, Severus acquiesced her request and stretched his own arm out to grasp her hand.

"Today was quite trying, wasn't it?" Lily asked with a defeated smile.

"At times." Severus nodded, "Although its difficulties would have been exaggerated had you not been by my side, my love."

"There'll never come a day when I'm not next to you, Sev." Lily promised.

"If there does, I have no desire to live through it." Severus bitterly replied.

As they finished the last of their food, Lily gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"It's odd that I'm exhausted but not drowsy, isn't it?" She asked with an amused chuckle.

"It may comfort you to know that I feel the same." Severus answered as he looked up from his plate and into Lily's emerald eyes.

She couldn't help but grin as she watched her husband lose himself in her gaze as his mouth went slack.

"Perhaps we can.......amuse ourselves before bed?" Lily asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Perhaps you'll let me take you into my arms?" Severus quipped in his low drawl.

There was a husky undertone in his otherwise smooth voice that sent a coy smirk dancing on Lily's lips.

Severus rose from the table first as he stretched a hand towards his wife, his elegant fingers reaching past the white fabric that stuck out from the edges of his dark sleeves.

Lily was on her feet a second later.

She giggled as she took his hand and let him lead them both out of the kitchen, up the stairs, and to their bedroom.